ot - possibly - guidance pls

Hi- can anyone explain in plain English why

I'm seeing lots of replies to various posts ie post with subject hearing RE:xxxxxxxxxxxx

but i'm not seeing the original posts ?

some posts are being rec'd first hand as it were but the majority of posts seem tio be replies to posts that i haven't received

using Windows Live mail 2012 and news.eternal -September.org

many thanks

Regards,

Paul snipped-for-privacy@moansalot.co.uk

Reply to
moansalot2

Quite possibly replies to posts so old that your News Reader has discarded them long ago. Using a News Reader which doesn't quote the old posts.

Could also be from a poster in your kill file.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I can't help you re the answer but I'm also seeing (many more of the) same thing you are describing (Forte Agent / XP).

I wonder if it's possible more people are using the same Usenet solution and hence why we are seeing more of the same issue?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I can't help you re the answer but I'm also seeing (many more of the) same thing you are describing (Forte Agent / XP).

I wonder if it's possible more people are using the same Usenet solution and hence why we are seeing more of the same issue?

Cheers, T i m

Thanks guys for prompt response

as far as i'm aware i'm not running a "kill file"

and some of the "original missed messages" are only a day or a couple of days old upon further investigation

so not sure it's a age thing - unless it's me being an old fart

Thanks

Reply to
moansalot2

I'm afraid it is all down to an outfit which has, for their own reasons, set up a web portal to the newsgroup

You might recognise this posting ;-)

Whilst promulgation is, in itself, no bad thing, the downside is that users unfamiliar with usenet can, and do, search for topics of interest but completely fail to notice the original posting date.

To compound the problem, these novices don't realise the importance of using at least a little quoted text.

Some uk.d-i-y posters have tried to pass on a few words of wisdom on the use of usenet, I don't know how well they are doing because I have a kill filter on posts from @example.com which seems to catch most of them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Same here, XP and ES.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

  • another 1.

Forte Agent + Win 8

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I am getting compliments on how well the grass in the discontinued flower beds is growing. I was tempted to take full credit for this, but being honest said that this bloke on the Internet helped me along. Thanks again.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Glad to be of assistance!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'm getting the same. Using TB.

Reply to
David Lang

Me too, I'd suggest that the original poster is posting on one of them there forum thingies and the particular news server you and I use has filters for things like html or attached pictures so one never sees them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I also have no way of knowing but I suspect some of the posts here on threads from there do not get to there though do come here. if you get my drift, so the issue probably can work both ways. YThose who run this web portal have obviously not exhaustively tested their solution in the real world. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff