OT: Porting a number from GiffGaff to TalkMobile

Just thought that this group is far busier than uk.telecom.mobile and stands a better chance of an answer here while the footie is on the telly ;o)

I've just got a refurbished HTC Desire HD from e2save, on a TalkMobile contract. I had to provide my PAC from GiffGaff (because I want to keep my existing number) at point of sale when I ordered the HTC online on Sunday. Due to a c*ck-up, the HTC has only just arrived today but that's not a problem as my old handset is still connecting to GiffGaff.

There's no instructions what to do with the SIM so I hope someone on here can help me. There's a brand new TalkMobile SIM in an unopened pack but I thought my existing number was tied to my existing SIM?

In other words, I was going to wait until my old handset no longer connects to GiffGaff, then take out my SIM and put it in the new handset where it would magically be picked up by TalkMobile - is that what I should do (thus ignoring the new TalkMobile SIM) or am I being a complete numpty and need to use the new TalkMobile SIM?

Cheers

Reply to
Dave

Didn't they give you a timeslot for when the port would go live? If you don't know when, just keep an eye for when the old SIM dies, at which point the new SIM should be alive (with your old number).

Reply to
Andy Burns

No they didn't, but cheers Andy, exactly what I needed to know :D

Reply to
Dave

Toy may have to tell the new provider you have safely received the new phone/SIM before they will actually enable it, usually what happens is your new SIM will have a new number on it, and then the port will happen, the old number will move over to the new SIM and the new number will die.

If your new SIM is working and has a new number, then I expect the port will happen soon, if not, I would call them to make sure.

Reply to
Toby

I've just put in the new SIM Toby and no service so I'll call them tomorrow. Cheers mate :D

Reply to
Dave

Sounds like you need to, both times I've upgraded and moved networks, the new SIM arrived working with a temporary number, seems like yours needs activating first, then if you're unlucky you might have to wait the best part of a week for a porting slot ...

Reply to
Andy Burns