[OT] portable radio/CD player for MP3s?

To enable me to have music while I diy (so this is slightly relevant to this group!) I'd like to have a portable radio/CD player - ie one with built-in speakers, not a personal hifi Ipod-type thingy - that will play MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs; however I can't find one anywhere. Does such a beast exist?

I know there are various personal hifi options that would do the trick, along with a separate amplifier/speaker unit but that's not what I want. I'd like to be able to play compilation CDs etc containing 150 or so MP3 tracks; and as it's genuinely for 'music-while-I-diy' I don't want to use anything fragile or expensive in a mucky environment.

We have a 25-quid DVD player for the kids, which plays DVD, CD, MP3 - you name it - via the telly, so I can't believe there isn't a market out there for what I'm looking for; and if so, why can't I find it!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

We bought a Hitachi one at Xmas from Currys/Comet/Miller Bros. 50 quid and works fine. It buffers quite a few tracks in it's memory so it can cope with quite large knocks/falling down stairs etc.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

No problem finding them at all.

No idea if this link will work (may be connection based)

?J27711E8A(they link to:)
?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=119744&clickfrom=nameIf the links don't work, they're argos cat number 512/9498 and 512/9436. I'm sure they'll have more.

They didn't have anything under 50 quid before Christmas, though. If they did, I'd have bought one already!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry! tried several e-shops all to no avail, but not Argos.

for my present needs!

David

Reply to
Lobster

They were flogging them (or another Hitachi MP3 box) quite cheaply a month or so back, but had sold out by the time I tried our local stores or their web site. alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains (what muppet thought up the punctuation of that name? :-) is a good place to ask - the question has come up there from time to time already.

Reply to
John Stumbles