OT: Portable air conditioners

They push up absolute humidity, but if they're only used (in swamp mode) when it's unusually hot in the UK, relative humidity will still be low enough (owing to the high temperature) that issues like condensation aren't a problem.

I wouldn't cool a server room with them, but as a cheap way to take the edge off an unusual; heatwave, they have their place.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

None.

Air conditioners with a heat pump heating mode should only attract 5% VAT, if the retailer can be bothered to do the paperwork. However, I found one that couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork and was charging full VAT was actually still cheaper when I bought mine.

If you're in a position to bring one back from more southern europe where they aren't considered luxuries, you may find them significantly cheaper than in the UK. Certainly was the case before the pound dropped 30%. Mind you, nearly 10 years ago a friend bought one back from the US. Even though the excess baggage charge was much more than the cost of the unit in Frys, it was still vastly cheaper than anything you could buy here at that time. That was a through window unit which is one piece split unit, with half inside the room and half hanging outside, balanced on the window ledge replacing a window pane. They are very popular in the US, less so here. Apparently it worked fine.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

It seems that portable units can have problems and so I'm not so keen on one of those now :-(

I'm now looking at split units. *Much* more expensive but from what you say much better.

I've found units by "Eco Air" (Self Install). Anyone know anything about these ? Or any other suggestions ?

Thanks again folks.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

I've installed two of the B&Q "Airforce" 12000 BTU/hr ones. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and they're still working fine. They were £100 off when I bought them.

The outside unit is particularly heavy. I did bring them home and install them single handed, but I strongly suggest you try to get some help.

Oh, and do try to avoid installing the things on the hottest day of the year. That really wasn't much fun.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Had a look on their website and can't find the "Airforce". Next time I'm in town I'll have a look in store.

Thanks Andrew.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

No need to bet, we *know* what sort of person you are.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I don't know how many personalities geof has but he is drivel when he finds his fischer price hacksaw and geof ATM. He is probably unbeliver when he wants to be too.

Reply to
dennis

Yeah - I'm a fat bugger, me

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

What the f*ck are you blathering on about now, retard?

It's a commonly held belief in ukdiy that you and drivel are one and the same

That can't possibly be true - at least drivel posts sensible things on occasion when he takes his meds

Reply to
geoff

drivel, geoff, dennis and one or 2 others occasionally say something useful but generally just waste space. I had assumed they were all the same person.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Live with it, sunshine

Reply to
geoff

I'd say it is worth it, I have one in my loft bedroom which gets very very hot in summer and it makes the room much more comfortable, I normally have mine set to around 23=BA - 25=BA and really notice the difference in comfort even compared to other rooms in the house which are at that temperature, I'm guessing it's because the air is dehumidified too. Only downside for some people would be the noise but I can sleep through it without a problem tbh.

Reply to
VAG_dude

R12 units can be recharged with another one I can never remember the R number of, but its either propane or butane

NT

Reply to
NT

That was obviously a bad omen. One of them just died. Got a man coming around next week to empty it, pressure test it, and if viable, fix and refill it. Otherwise, I'll fit a new one.

I just called in and they don't do them at the moment. I asked, and they were having problems due to the internal and external units being sold separately, but having to match up batch numbers because the supplier kept changing them, and people taking non-matching ones.

However, other places do split self-install units. EU legislation only allows self-install for units up to 3kg refrigerant (these ones are 1.35kg) where no venting of refrigenant to the atmosphere is likely during installation, which means self-sealing connectors. Prices seem to be in the £330 - £400 ball-park, delivered, for ones equivalent to the B&Q ones (although they're all improved technology/efficiency 4 years on anyway).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel