OT - Poor LAN Speed

Hi Folks,

I recently installed a D-Link PCI DGE-528T 1Gb ethernet card on my rather old PC (Asus P5N-E SLI mobo) but it's only returning a max sped of 100Mbps. I've played around with various settings that looked relevant but it's made no difference and a laptop plugged in to the same line recently ran at

1Gbps; can anyone suggest what settings I need to optimise to persuade it to run faster or am I (as I suspect) flogging a dead horse? Is this a limitation of the PCI technology on the board? The system still copes really well with everything I need so I'm loathe to change it......

Cheers.

Reply to
Endulini

Could be the cable. Doesn't GB ethernet need all 8 wires or something?

If its exactly 100Mbps, it suggests the card is not just 'unable to run flat out' but is actually 'connecting at 100Mbps

There may be idiot lights that tell you the link speed -oh no. Link yes, not what speed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

The crappy cable bundled with some SOHO routers only has 4 wires connected - that'll limit it to 100Mbps.

It's easy to see if this is the case by looking at the plug ends.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

The OP did say that a laptop plugged into the same line (I assume that means cable) came up at a gig. I do have an ancient Dell box here that will only bring the second PCI gig card at 100 - several 8 wire cables were tried when I fitted it.

Reply to
Nick

Are you seeing throughput of 100Mbps, or does the status for the card say 100Mbps?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thanks Folks,

You were bang on, a new cable sorted it :)

Reply to
endulini

Well my lan mostly operates at the slower speed and a recent question to a know all about getting faster routers etc, told me that no matter what I do if I have old clunkers on the network you are stuck with what you suggest is the case. I was not clear if that means the one machine slows the others if present, but as I am not in the habit of going berserk moving data its probably academic.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff