OT Pollution on a massive scale

Just thought I'd bring this up as a new topic. What some people here seem to want.

I wonder what the cost of clearing this up will be? And who will end up paying.

Reply to
harry

Looks pretty good to me. And your problem is?

Reply to
newshound

If you read the captions, as part of the licence to extract, the Canadian government insists that the oil companies fully reinstate the land after mining. That is what the photo of bison is about.

If you follow the link at the end of the article, you will see the future of oil sand extraction, which avoids the need to strip mine.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Making a mess in the US too

guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/07/detroit-petroleum-coke-dirty-keystone

Detroit's mountains of petroleum coke are 'dirtier than the dirtiest fuel' Byproduct of tar sands production is piling up in Detroit, and environmentalists fear Keystone XL pipeline will bring more

Reply to
Eric

I get a huge stiffy seeing that. We need much more of this together with nukes in the middle of every city in the UK. Communal roasting pits for greens have to be a part of the energy mix.

It won't be anyone. They are financing the clearing up of it themselves. We are all subsidising and will be for decades to come for shitty gross polluting renewables like solar PV and wind.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Hopefully not those that get their energy from nuclear.

There is nothing unusual in those photos, you can find similar ones for coal mines in Germany, except the machines are bigger in Germany.

Reply to
dennis

Big deal. I want my petrol and oils and f*ck anyone else.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The resident troll dreams up an excuse for another OT argument in uk.d-i-y.

All that pollution and just to get enough oil to power the factories producing windmills and solar panels.

Reply to
alan

Did you not read the article, Harry? The companies extracting the product clear it up and pay for it. Just think of all the atmospheric carbon being sucked up by the new plants and trees!

As long as there are humans on the planet, oil will be needed, it's as simple as that. And with absurd human population groth rates, even MORE oil will be needed.

Reply to
pastedavid