OT: Police wasting tax payers money

Durham Constabulary

Security system foils thieves

Two men were caught red handed stealing hanging baskets from a garden centre in Chester-le-Street, following the installation of an innovative security system.

The system, which uses military style perimeter defence detectors and cameras, was fitted to Chesters Grove Garden Centre by the owners following a series of burglaries. The system alerts the owners to any intruders immediately using smart phone technology.

Police were called to the garden centre on Monday night when the system was triggered and intruders could clearly be seen within a compound. Officers were on scene within five minutes, surrounding the area. The suspects made off along the east coast main line then through a wooded area, but PC Dave Robinson was close by with police dog Elvis. They tracked the suspects through the woods and locate them hiding nearby. Once they were detained with the assistance of the Air Support Unit, local officers were able to move in and detain them.

The two men, aged 42 and 23 from the Pelton area, accepted police cautions after admitting trying to steal the 18 hanging baskets worth £400.

If any local businesses are interested in installing a similar system, they are urged to contact their local crime prevention officer for advice by dialling 101

Comment: To spend all that money and commit all these resources to catching the theives and then just giving them a caution, beggers belief

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

I'm presently listening to Kenneth Clarke saying that he is against sending anyone to prison because he's got no money, so don't hold you breathe that anything's going to change soon.

However, perhaps us hardliners have got it all wrong ?

Norway only 20 per cent of prisoners end up back in jail after release, compared to between 50 and 60 per cent in the UK.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

There's f*ck all to do there, that's why.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

its not their call, its the CPS who decides if they should be prosecuted, and at the moment I suspect the backlog in cases is making them not bother in many cases.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe they push them into a Fjord at the end of their sentences?

My plan of course is to send them all to Mars.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In such a case, that would mean there isn't enough evidence to be reasonably sure of securing a conviction if they prosecute. For example, they might not have been caught red-handed (in spite of what that report says), and there's not enough evidence to prove the people who were caught are the same people that broke in to the garden centre. Can also happen if there's no previous, and the police don't think it's worth the effort required to bring a prosecution for the likely puny (non-custodial) sentence which would result.

Thus it's likely more money would be wasted by persuing a prosecution, in either case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But the police have to refer the case to the CPS first. And in this case they chose not to.

Reply to
Andrew May

Put 'em on Rockall - much closer.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am sure the police agree with you.

Reply to
Martin

According to Directgov, a Police caution can only be given if there is sufficient evidence of guilt and the person admits to the crime.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Then tell Iceland we'll let them have Rockall if we can have the cod. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Must be true then . . . .

Reply to
fred

All that's required is that the person admits to the crime. That effectively is sufficient evidence of guilt, providing the officer doesn't think the person is making up the admission. It's used when the evidence of guilt isn't sufficient to justify a prosecution, or the likely sentence isn't worth all the paperwork (e.g. first time offence with custodial unlikely).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

.> It's used when the evidence of guilt isn't sufficient to justify

That's called not guilty in my eyes:-)

Remember my apprentice that was offered a caution/fixed penalty and asked to see the duty solicitor? He was freed without charge a couple of hours later.

Sometimes a caution is a win win situation for minor things and everyone is better off financially. I have accepted mine as I was as guilty as hell and I did not need a day off work to go to court to plead guilty (at the earliest possible opportunity) and end up getting some silly £75 fine and £40 court costs.

The day off work would cost more than the fine and the costs and the costs do not cover the costs.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , the_constructor wrote

The money was spent by the garden centre owners.

If you want to see Police wasting money come here to Southend-on-Sea where the Police regularly wake up tens of thousands of sleeping residents with a low flying helicopter. Is it a high crime area? Not according to the information the Police publish on the web! The Police are spending millions on aircraft to track a few petty criminals.

They have even put up signs on one of the main roads into the town saying that the helicopter is used to catch speeding motorists which is a joke in itself as the road in question is usually grid locked due to road works that have been going on forever and traffic lights every few metres.

Reply to
Alan