OT: Pointless 'safety' warnings

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I bought a toaster in Indonesia which had the warning that it can get hot

Reply to
geoff

I love the idea that a bag of nuts "may" contain nuts. Why did nobody, at some point during the design process, think to change it to say "Caution, contains nuts"?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

The book for my table saw warns against using it whilst up a ladder.

Good job I read it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This usually occurs because some window-licker used it for that purpose and then sued. In Merka, of course.

Reply to
Huge

Taking enough det cord and copper tube to remove the window to get to it?

Reply to
dennis

We have one at work that says that,

I don't think they went to Indonesia for it :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Also roofing bolt nuts are square, why?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I bought some rat poison that claimed to contain "No toxic chemicals". Prolly explains why it did not work on the rat!

Reply to
John Rumm

and what "has a hazelnut in every bite"?

Reply to
John Rumm

Well with peanuts it is a fair call, since they are not themselves nuts so the only risk is that the packing machine etc may have introduced nut traces.

Reply to
John Rumm

But the average Lidl shopper doesn't understand that subtlety. Come to think of it, the average Waitrose one probably doesn't either.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hazel nuts?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's off Topic.

The correct answer is squirrel shit.

A couple of years ago, I made a customer visit to a well known pharmaceutical company in Basel. The host brought in a fairly large box of Swiss chocolates for munching by the attendees and remarked that it was always popular when they had British visitors because we had to put up with "that Cadbury's shit".

Reply to
Andy Hall

Following up to The Medway Handyman

LOL, my new fly screen came with a "user manual", I was looking forward to instructions on how to put your arm through and push the curtain to oneside without getting in a mess, but it was just washing instructions.

Reply to
Mike.....

Following up to Andy Hall

why do we buy it?

Reply to
Mike.....

Following up to Andy Hall

do you get nuts in champagne?

Reply to
Mike.....

I don't know. Personally I don't.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Green & Blacks is quite good.

Reply to
Rod

But when the bag was manufactured, it didn't contain nuts (nor peanuts). Nor after the package has been emptied. But it sort of might do in terms of allergic reaction induction. But I think this is too philosophical for packaging label designers. And the bags probably come into existence as they are formed round the nuts/peanuts so there never are any unfilled bags - only emptied ones. :-)

Reply to
Rod

It is a matter of taste and I prefer Cadbury's to continental chocolate.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar