OT: Pointless 'safety' warnings

Ton = 2240 lb. Tonne = 2205 lb approximately.

A difference of only 1.5%.

Reply to
Bruce

I'd be interested in how anyone would propose that they move or lift such an object - it doesn't exactly have convenient handles.

The warning sign has a picture of a toddler rather optimistically pushing the side.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

But it has less well-finished edges.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Incidentally, what are doing with in respect of filtration/chemicals?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Following up to Stephen Howard

not since Major introduced "no win no fee". If crims can sue for getting electocuted while stealing stuff its not surprising people try to ward off claims as best they can.

Reply to
Mike.....

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember EricP saying something like:

"May contain nuts" on a bag of peanuts is perfectly fine - as the machines used to pack peanuts are frequently used to pack proper nuts and traces may remain. Those traces might kill some unlucky git.

"May contain peanuts" sounds like it's perpetuated by urban legend.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Damn you - you made me check! :-)

The word 'may' might be missing, but:

Sainsbury Jumbo salted peanuts "Allergy advice - Contains peanuts. Not suitable for nut allergy sufferers due to the methods used in the manufacture of this product.".

Whole Earth Curcnhy Original Peanut Butter. "Contains peanuts. May also contain nuts."

But, though I am pefectly comfortable with peanuts not being nuts, I am never quite sure when it comes to cashew, macadamia, coconut, etc. - even chestnut. (Perfectly happy with the traditional hazel, walnut, pecan, almond - the old-fasioned tree nuts as I think of them.)

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying something like:

It's good exercise. :)

Arse-covering change of wording then. The essential element is pretty much as I said though - contamination from nut-packing machinery being the main one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Following up to Rod

I think the thing is that fruit has a scientific meaning while nut possibly doesnt and vegetable definately doesnt. Hence tomato is a fruit and a vegetable.

I think a coconut qualifies as fruit but not as a nut as it has no kernel.

how did the Cadburys song go?

My dictionary says:- a small flat piece of metal or other material, typically square or hexagonal, with a threaded hole through it for screwing on to a bolt as a fastener.

Reply to
Mike.....

The lifeboat hangs right outside our window :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Good enough. I hope you have no need of it. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

So do I. I don't think the window opens :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mike..... writes

Nuts! Whole hazel nuts, Cadbury's take 'em and they cover them in chocolate :-)

A square one would be Meccano. Possibly.

Reply to
Graeme

Are you looking forward to gandering at endless miles of grey water then ? According to all the eco-warriors, there's no ice to see any more is there ? I suppose it might be a bit more interesting if you catch sight of the odd chunk of ice gasping its last in the mediterranean heat, as it will probably have 20 polar bears stuck on it, all fighting and eating each other ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Following up to Graeme

not the sort of thing we would use!

Reply to
Mike.....

There is another problem which is kept pretty quiet: walnuts, almonds, and other nuts, can be made out of peanuts. Interestingly I find lots of references to this in allergy documents such as this one:

I can find no references to any actual manufacturers of these fake nuts. If you find one that owns up, pass me a link.

Keep reading the labels.

Spamlet

My favourite to date:

A 15" teflon coated pizza dish with a great many 5mm perforations in the bottom. Large red sticker across the bottom:

"NOT FOR MAKING GRAVY"

Now that really took some imagination!

:-) S

Reply to
Spamlet

It's not moving it that's dangerous, it's *trying* to move it. Which you obviously have already done - so that was a waste of a sticker then ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

Perhaps we should report him to the sticker-water police ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Also used in caged nut fixings and on gutter bolts.

Colin Bignell.

Reply to
nightjar