OT pluses of the slump?

It seems to me that there has been a refreshing rethink of late on several fronts. The EEC has dropped many of its ridiculous vegetable size and shape rules. The Health and Safety boss has gone on record to say that the application of the rules are TOT. The equality commission now says equality has gone a step too far, and there are thousands of solicitors making unnecessary rich pickings. Looks like the rules on re-cycling will be modified, what is the sense of cleaning jars and cans using more energy than is saved by recycling, then to rub salt into the wounds send them to the Far East! Is this down to the financial downturn (correct speak for slump?) or is common sense starting to prevail?

Reply to
Broadback

Perhaps, Lord Mandelson of Jiggery-Pokery did drop plans for extending maternity leave like a hot potato, saying they were too expensive for business - a direct consequence of the economic downturn. When the going gets tough the touchy-feely stuff is suddenly out the window!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:57:59 +0000 someone who may be Broadback wrote this:-

An incorrect assertion. Sloshing a few jars or cans around in old dishwater uses zero energy, other than a tiny amount of elbow grease.

Reply to
David Hansen

Sad to say it is your assumption that is incorrect. We do not use dishwater. If you place cans/bottles in a dishwasher the labels clock the filters up, and removing them beforehand is another requirement for hot water, anyway water itself is a resource that uses energy, how else can it reach our homes teated?

Reply to
Broadback

He possibly meant dishwater in the sink or basin not in a dishwasher machine

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Well, we've got to export something (even if it is only rubbish). If it also stops the manufacturing countries from using *new* raw materials, it's a good thing. Since this country stopped making stuff that people want, at prices they're preapered to pay, our options for trade are fairly limited. However, it's not all bad news. The freighters that bring over all the desirables we buy on credit from the far east would otherwise go back empty - so we might as well put something in them.

Reply to
pete

Compressed bankers maybe

Reply to
stuart noble

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:19:05 +0000 someone who may be Broadback wrote this:-

Really.

So, do you use paper plates and cups, or do you clean the china using some sort of dry process?

I didn't mention a dishwasher.

Not if it is old dishwater.

Not if it is old dishwater.

Reply to
David Hansen

He said that he doesn't use dishwater, probably meaning that he has a dishwasher rather than a washing-up bowl in the sink.

You didn't but he said that he doesn't use dishwater, leading to the logical assumption that he has a dishwasher, and he was telling you that he can't place cans/bottles in there because the labels come off and block the filters.

He hasn't got any because he doesn't use it

He hasn't got any because he doesn't use it

Reply to
John

Removing the labels doesn't require hot water, and jars and cans don't need to go in the dishwasher.

Soak the jars overnight in cold water. The labels come off while being soaked. Jam dissolves overnight.

Cans can be soaked overnight in cold water with a dash of washing up liquid, which gets rid of enough of the gunk.

Regards,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

If you offered any half sensible adult a job that consisted of removing labels and washing cans, and proposed to pay them the scrap value of the cans minus all collection costs, they'd laugh. And yet you're expected to spend a portion of your life doing exactly that - oh, and its someone else that will be paid the scrap value btw.

The labour, fuel, materials and so on throughout the chain involved in cleaning, collecting, transporting, sorting and processing means that there is no genuine saving of energy & resources - figures quoted are normally derived by completely ignoring significant portions of the system that is working to do the whole recycling process.

And despite all the above, the greenwash is so unrealistic/dishonest that many people think that not only is it s noble and constructive way to spend your time, but that you have a moral duty no less to do it! You couldnt make it up.

Reply to
meow2222

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:01:28 -0800 (PST) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

Putting some cans or jars into water takes a long time?

Ah, proof by assertion.

Reply to
David Hansen

Something you and greenpiss are entirely used to, of course.

In fact like most of the so called green iniatives, a large amount of recycling is utter phooey.

WE know you don't do sums, so calculating e,.g. the carbon footprint of a recycled bottle as roadfill versus simply chucking it in the sea and letting nature turn it back to sand, will never convince you of anything, so why bother?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once, no, repeatedly day after day it adds up. How some people cant see a better use for their time I dont know.

A statement and proof are 2 evidently different things. The above is a stement. Proof would require a lot more writing time. Sorry if you were confused.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:06:57 +0000 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Ah, proof by assertion. Do keep it up.

Reply to
David Hansen

If he was really green he'd get it shipped in from China.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Scrap cans don't have any value. Corus has stopped taking them because during the recession they have more than enough new steel produced from iron ore for which they have signed long term contracts to take.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Better than nothing, David.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Without any doubt, the number of fireworks I heard this Halloween-Diwali-Guy Fakes season has been far lower than usual. Most especially, the random ones on the streets, in the early hours, etc. have been almost not-existent.

To me, a major plus.

Reply to
Rod

Not here it isn't, just behind us across the way we have a Guy Fawkes worshipper.. any excuse at any time is sufficient for a large display..

And his best trick is to wait till around half eleven when all good god fearing people are almost asleep, and thats the right time for a small low yield equivalent nooclear burst;!.....

Reply to
tony sayer