OT: Plane fuel

Where do you get those figures from?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

But we can soon go via Russia.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

During WW2, when there was a real possibility that their oil might run out, Germany developed a jet engine that ran on powdered coal. Aircraft that carried their own nuclear reactor have also been built, although shielding was a problem with those.

Reply to
Nightjar

Not when you make it from coal.

but when that's all you have left...

That's not talking about when the oil runs out.

Reply to
JHY

Somebody who lives 20 years from now.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

prick

Reply to
Mick

It is...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I was at university, oil was going to run out in the 1980's.

Economics 101. The oil isn't going to run out. It's going to get more scarce, and more expensive; but nothing like as fast as you might expect, because as the price goes up it becomes worth exploiting new sources.

There are any number of ways of making synthetic kerosene equivalents. Which route you take depends on whether a carbon tax gets introduced.

Reply to
newshound

It's the climate change bullshit that might f*ck things up.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Whereas in the UK, we had some trucks run off gas from a woodburner in the back.

newshound

It's talking about when fossil fuels run out, a different matter entirely.

Reply to
JHY

Which is why carbon tax might drive you towards biofuel. OTOH the vapour trails might provide enough offset.

Reply to
newshound

I thought Top Gear made that up.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

You never know, we might break out of global warming beliefs like most sensible folk broke out of going to church every sunday.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

We also had cars that ran off chicken shit.

Reply to
bert

Isn't it easier to use a larger animal when acquiring fuel from excrement?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Oil is a fossil fuel dear, and its not talking about when they run out, just when the cost of extraction renders them uneconomic

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just one of them, cheep.

And when that happens with oil, there will still be plenty of coal and natural gas to turn into fuel for planes.

Reply to
JHY

5-10 years for cheap oil, 10-20 for gas and 100 for coal

Perhaps

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It?s a lot longer than that for all the coal.

No perhaps about it. And once the coal starts to get depleted, all of the use of that for power generation can be trivially replaced by nukes.

Reply to
JHY