OT Ping Chris Hogg again re wildflowers

You may remember giving me help a while ago.

I have these - Country Garden in my front garden. Most have died, but the light mauve coloured ones are still excellent. Dunno the name of them. My question is should I just allow them to die and rot, or should I pull them up when they are dead? I intend to plant the same seeds next year.

Taa.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Without having a picture of the actual plants you're referring to, or a name, it's impossible to say. The only light mauve plant I can make out in the picture on the packet could be a scabious or nigella (aka love-in-a-mist). Scabious can be either annual (comes up once and then dies) or perennial (comes up year after year) depending on the species. Picture of a scabious here

but they vary. Nigella is an annual
. It forms fat green seed pods with whiskers; quite distinctive

If they were mine, I'd leave them until they die down and then just cut them off at ground level with shears, leaving the root in the ground. If they're perennials, they'll come again next year. If they're annuals, they'll just rot away.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Same colour as the scabious, but with petals like a poppy and a yellow seed pod thing in the middle. Eight petals, just counted. They are about 4 - 5 feet high! Yes, I'll leave them until they die, trim them and put new seeds down next year.

Thanks yet again.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Very hard to tell from that image, but it might be Cornflower.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Judging by your most recent post, I must be looking at the wrong bit of the image :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

They do not seem to be pictured on the link to the pack of seeds. Country Garden. However, the scabious as mentioned by Mr Hogg is pictured. I think that he made a very good stab at that one. Hey! Last year using the same seeds I got two huge Sunflowers!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Am 23.10.2016 um 19:11 schrieb Mr Pounder Esquire:

Just guessing:

Matthias Czech

Also of course some of these will have self seeded for next year so what comes up will be a mixture of the new seeds and the old ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Spot on!

Reply to