OT Pickeys take CRT TVs

"Getting a belt" was an almost daily occurrence, it was said that you became immune after a while, that was bollocks of course, what happens is that you develop strategies to minimise the damage. Never have both hands in the set, stand on a rubber mat, feed each set from a separate isolation transformer.

Reply to
Graham.

Was it a single standard "Bradford" chassis, or earlier?

The first colour set I bought was a 22 inch Decca Bradford. Large on off volume knob above the speaker, and three smaller (bri/con/col) knobs below.

Valves in the places they were needed and the rest solid state. Brilliant simple sets; I still think of them fondly.

I bought it from an out of work lumberjack in Holmes Chapel, he was going to buy something better as soon as he had recovered from the accident he had at work.

Reply to
Graham.

Soon after I started work in 1974 I bought my parents a new B&W set (Pye?) which was hybrid solid state/valve. Why? Was it because they hadn't yet made higher power handling transistors?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Some things never change ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In common use dahn sarf.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It was indeed.

it was said that you

Yes, but we were very cavalier about electrical safety in those days. I shudder when I think of some of our practices. For example, one of my party pieces was to draw an arc off the eht with a screwdriver to light a cigarette!

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Indeed. I first heard it in the Engineering Workshop at WD & HO Wills factory in Bedminster, Bristol (now a shopping centre) when I worked there during University vacations in the early '70s.

But then, they called trainers "daps".

Reply to
Huge

On Monday 06 January 2014 10:38 Farmer Giles wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Your colleague having pushed a thin bit of wire down inside it first while you weren't looking! *ow*

Reply to
Tim Watts

You are Chuck Norris AICMFP ;-)

(although I know someone who's party piece demo was to draw a 5' long arc of a 10kW HF transmitter in the Marconi rig room ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to wait until there was a program on I couldn't stand, then put on a pair of DMs and kick the screen in. Looked really cool.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Higher power transistors did take a little while to appear, but the main re ason for retaining valves was for the voltage handling; with the inductance s present in the ciruits some serious voltage spikes would be produced, qui te apart from the EHT. As an example, the PL504, which was commonly used as a line output valve, was rated at 7kV peak anode volts.

Reply to
docholliday93

Ish - Cheshire which is sort of in between neither North West nor North Midlands and according to BBC Digital Teletext regional news doesn't exist at all.

Reply to
bert

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

Never did the stand on a mat, well it was a wood floor covered with Lino but the iso trannies and the Two hands .. even do that till this day seem to remember and olde TV tech saying something like "if yer tickling the EHT with one hand then time to tickle your balls with 't other;!...

Reply to
tony sayer