OT: Period of warranty

I know this is the wrong place to ask this, but the legal groups can be a tad trying.

I recently had to return a monitor to the manufacturers under warranty, basically because it went splat. Does the warranty on my brand-spanking-new monitor run for a year from the date of purchase of the original, or for a year from the date of supply of the replacement? I ask because actually I had to return the first replacement as that had a similar defect (FYI a Hanns.G 19" TFT jobby)

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

a year from original supply

Reply to
Si

Under the manufacturer's warranty - as long as they deem fit - from nothing to forever (and I'm not being flippant here).

Under the Sale of Goods Act, it could be upto six years in England and Wales and five in Scotland - and this depends on what the expected life of the item could be.

Have a look here

and click Advice > Guarantees and Warranties (for all nations).

HTH

BRG

Reply to
BRG

=46rom the original purchase date.

If you had to have a replacement for the replacement then I'd say you have a good case that the item is not fit for purpose rather than a one off failure that may have just been unlucky.

Even without this, if you have problems outside the manufacturers warranty period then you can invoke your legal rights, against the seller, not the manufacturer, under the sale of goods act, which can entitle you to repair or replacement for a longer period depending on how long you could reasonably expect the item to last. E.g. if it came from the Pound shop you probably don't have a hope in hell but if you paid top whack for a quality brand you can be covered for up to 6 years.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You could always ask them for an extended warranty - some companies will give it, some won't. You have a good case given that this is the second replacement. I've had to return faulty goods to Amazon, and been told that the replacement item will carry a full year's guarantee.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Probably from the original data of purchase. But a good rouse, if the supplier will wear it is to ask for a refund - and then buy a new one. You'll then get a brand new guarantee, and the new one may even be cheaper than the previous one!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Actually this isn't quite the point.

The 6 year thing is the UK statute of limitations for statutory claims and has nothing to do with warranties. EU Directives a few years ago were meant to harmonise all of this but simply imposed a *minimum* of two years statutory limitation. This caused much confusion in Germany and some other places where the concept had not been the same before. Consumer groups spread misinformation that this meant minimum of 2 years warranty. It didn't. Nonetheless manufacturers provide 2 year warranties routinely in much of Europe as a result.

The warranty is something that the manufacturer offers as a convenience and is separate. It can be 3 months, a year, two years, five, ten or limited lifetime, but must not limit statutory provisions.

Reply to
Andy Hall

seems to suggest your warranty is 3 years on site do not let a n incompetant retailer tell you otherwise

HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

lace to ask this, but the legal groups can

Thank you, one and all, for sound advice as ever. With luck I won't have to invoke anything - the damn thing COULD work, you know!

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips