OT performing rights society

Irrespective of what you may think, that is what the law says.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Indeed. Presumably these firms are using radio to give them a benefit of some sort - so why should they get it for free?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Unfortunately, such is not broadcast on the radio, so tuner tests would presumably still fall foul ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In article , Arfa Daily scribeth thus

Its more stupid bollocks which the UK is getting very good at;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

I 'spect Drivel will be along in a minute to tell us that there's a reason for it, and we should stop reading the Daily Mail ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

So what happens if two people are listening to two radios - either tuned to the same or different stations?

And why don't the PRS go after those buggers on the train who play their Walkmans/iPods loud enough for other people to hear?

Reply to
mike

But hasn't it already been paid for by the broadcaster?

And is this why listening to Any Answers or Punt and Dennis on Radio 4 doesn't require a licence? Because no-one could possibly describe it as a benefit.

Reply to
mike

What makes you think who you decide to killfile is of interest to anyone else?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The broadcaster has paid for the right to transmit the music over the radio. Their licence fee is calculated upon the expected number of people who will listen to that transmission. Playing the transmission to others, execpt for strictly private purposes, is a separate performance of the work, which increases the number of people listening, and needs its own licence.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Unless you could rig up something, using royalty-free music, that simulates a transmission or that transmits and receives within a Faraday cage, yes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I hear what you say but it seems like a ridiculous way to implement a law. Surely the expected numbers under the original licence fee should include the three people in the branch of Kwik-Fit.

Is there any exemption for deaf people? If the second person in the room couldn't hear the performance, would it still be a performance?

And what if they were both deaf? Could they legally argue they didn't know the radio was turned on?

I know that's silly but the whole thing seems silly.

Reply to
mike

If it's of no interest to you, then why respond?

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Do the figures for the expected numbers of listeners assume one radio = one person, or are they more intelligent than that?

Reply to
Clive George

That you feel the need to tell others who you killfile is of interest to me. Says quite a bit about your character.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

nightjar coughed up some electrons that declared:

Given we never heard of this nonsense 10 years back AFAIK, does that mean the law changed, or has there merely been an "interpretation" made recently?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Because BBC Radion doesn't need a license to listen and commercial radio is paid for by adverts - more listeners = more people listening to ads???

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

?Over 90% of our members earn less than £5,000 per annum ...,? it said.

Yeah - possibly because their music is s**te

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim S writes

you should know me better than that by now

"sod" was not the word I used

Reply to
geoff

Not for private and personal use, no. But for re-broadcasting copyright music to others, yes.

Yes, commercial radio is paid for by advertising. BBC Radio is paid for out of the TV Licence fee*. That covers private and personal use, but for re-broadcasting copyright music to others, yes, you have to pay.

Presumably you think re-broadcasting copyright music should be free, in the same way that iTunes and other music download sites are free ...?

Presumably you see nothing wrong in copying MP3 files without payment?

*The reason there isn't a separate radio licence is that the cost of collecting a small sum of money would be disproportionately high.
Reply to
Bruce

nightjar Garages are required to have a licence if they listen to a customer's radio

Which is odd when you think that there is an exclusion the TV license regs regarding repair facilities that only need to receive to check the functioning of the kit.

and a license to broadcast it so that you can verify the RF front end of the radio no doubt! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm