OT: pencil & ears

Page 2 of 3

:3fc09a2f$0$52888$ snipped-for-privacy@news.gradwell.net...

house
You wouldn't forget it, that's true.
Mary

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:52:27 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Mary, you should know by now that size isn't important..... :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

one
But the size (8mm) was mentioned and I wondered why. It's been explained adequately now - it's more a matter of mass apparently.
Mary

after
Behind the ear as good a place as any.... but safety goggles and dust masks hinder that somewhat.
Often hold it between my teeth, but for long after the need has passed. I start to wonder why my jaw is aching and I'm slavering all over whatever I'm working on, and then realise that I don;t need the pencil/screwdriver/screw/nail/whatever any more and haven't in fact done for several minutes.
Like to wear shirts with pockets whilst working - invaluable for pencils. However, every time I bend down the damned things fall out.
So, usually it's trouser pockets.
Of course, with so many places that I habitually put pencils and the likes, I am forever losing things about my person.
I think I need a holiday.....
-- Richard Sampson

SWMBO takes whatever is in the washing basket and puts it through the machine, usually without checking the shirt pockets. Many times she has mentioned afterwards that there must have been something in the pockets because she's got odd scraps of paper come out when the washing is finished.
On a related subject, I used to do demo's and presentations in front of corporate clients. And I've habitually put pens into the shirt pocket. Took the jacket off one hot day during a presentation to find that the fountain pen had decided to wet its pants, and I had a huge black ink patch all around the shirt pocket.
PoP

That happened to me with a borrowed shirt - with permanent ink. My friend was very forgiving about it but I still feel guilty.
Mary

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:09:52 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

My mind wandered for a brief instant there.....okay, back on safe territory ;)
PoP

Oh - do tell!
Mary

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:07:49 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

But I've been drinking.....
.....thoughts were about whether the ink leakage stained the underlying <ahem> skin.
PoP

Oh! Is that all?
I can't remember. I don't think it went on my vest :-)
Mary

snip

Many moons ago when we are all young, poor and smoked it was quite common to 'Nick' a cigarette to keep for later.
A friend did just this, dropped the nicked cigarette into the breast pocket of his jacket , and 15 mins later discovered he hadn't nicked it completely. It had burnt a hole right through the jacket pocket and amazingly had also burnt his shirt before he noticed what was going on.
Paul Mc Cann

We called it 'nipping'.
The north/south divide perhaps???
Mary

Anyone trained themselves to put the pencil behind the ear such that the tip of the pencil is pointing "backwards". Otherwise the number of times I have bent down beside a newly-wallpapered wall and left an arc of pencil line on the new wallpaper...
On a connected note, a relative has a Nursery business for plants. One day he said a customer came in to buy some plants and the guy had a comb lodged in his hair! The relative said he couldn't keep his eyes off the comb.
Mungo :-)

What's a comb?
mike r

It's a piece of beeswax, beautifully fashioned into hexagonal cells and containing honey.
Or pollen or brood or an combination.
Why anyone should want one in his hair is another matter - although honey has been recommended as a hair restorer. Perhaps the customer started the morning bald ...
Mary

wrote in message

Thanks Mike and Mary... I even went and looked up the word "comb" in a dictionary to ensure that I had spelled it correct!
Mungo :-)
(Hey, "Mary", "Mungo" and "Mike" ... almost a cartoon idea there! :-)

I've got the hat ...
Mary

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:28:45 +0000 (UTC), mike ring

ROTFL
Paul Mc Cann
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:17:29 +0000 (UTC), "Mungo Henning"

Yes, but only 'cos the pointy end is easier to fit than the blunt end :o) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

<Flame guard ON>
Paddy was working on scaffolding on a building site when he lost his balance and fell down. During the fall his ear caught on a sharp protrusion and was ripped off... After his fellow workers had picked him up and taken him to the hospital, another worker found Paddy's ear lying on the floor so he took it to the hospital with the hope that they could sew it back on again. When paddy heard the news and saw the ear, he said "That's not mine, mine had a pencil behind it..."
<Flame guard OFF>
Sorry folks, couldn't resist it... (translated from a Turkish joke featuring 'Temel', the "equivalent" of Paddy...)