[OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

She always remembered the tall, handsome ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Half right, at least.

Reply to
Huge

I joined DEC in 1978 to work on its PDP-11/70 project, which was to be the biggest model so far, and which the UK side of the company was leading on the software side. About six weeks after I joined the project was canned in favour of the Vax.

E.

Reply to
eastender

The 11/70 wasn't canned - I worked on a number of them!

Reply to
Huge

But they did go on, didn't they? Plenty of people still wanted PDP-11s.

I have an 11/84 which is a good deal later than that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry yes - I meant the 11/74. Checking

I now recall that: "The 11/74 was cancelled because of concern for its field maintainability, though employees believed the real reason was that it outperformed the 11/780 [ie. the 32 bit Vax]."

I do definitely remember a lot of hacked off UK software engineers and a lot of time down the pub.

E.

Reply to
eastender