OT: PDF viewer for Windows

[29 lines snipped]

Not necessarily churlish, but I'm happy to put the idea to my Mother, assuming you're willing to pay for the Mac, fly the Atlantic to install it, teach my Mother to use it (she's 83) and answer the support calls thereafter?

Reply to
Huge

FireFox seems to work quite well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll leave it with you ;-)

A mate comes round from time to time to plan holidays using my computer

- internet searches, emails, maps, printing. He's (only) 65, and has no formal IT training. I tried to help him with Windows ( was a trainer for

10 years so know roughly what I'm doing). He actually broke down in tears once. For some reason the 'start' button completely phased him. So he gave up.

For the past year or so, though, he's been using my Mac. The only thing I've helped him with has been to enter passwords (he seems to have difficulty entering even written down passwords) and explaining how to wake the computer (hit any key).

I bought a new iMac the other week. The old one was 6 years old, never missed a beat, but I thought why not. Up and running a replica of my old one in an hour, with about 45 seconds of intervention from me. Sold the old one for nearly half what I paid 6 years ago.

Reply to
RJH

I've worked in IT since 1975 and FWIW, I have a Linux Mint 17 desktop, a Windows 7 desktop (strictly my wife's), a Windows 7 laptop (strictly my employers) and a Macbook Air.

They're all shit in their own way.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge scribeth thus

Yep!, Foxit reader its been use here for years and it just does what's needed:)

Adobe?, is persona non grata !...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes thats fine, used that one for years too!...

Reply to
tony sayer

!, you couldn't make it up!.

Old friend of mine now 83 years old has had a CRT Mac for years till it expired.

Gave him an old Win 7 box and he said,

"wish I'd have had one of these years ago, it's just so much simpler to use"!....

Reply to
tony sayer

:-)

I have to say, aspects of the Mac are diabolical - the Finder (equivalent of explorer) defies logic - for example. And I do find Win7 pretty good.

Reply to
RJH

Not to mention the never ending prompts to upgrade. This reason alone led me to Foxit. This does the job without the constant reminders that there is some new version to download.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
[32 lines snipped]

The Finder is a piece of junk.

Reply to
Huge

And unnecessary. To quote my mother, "It's where you left it".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Will her existing browser not display PDFs - perhaps with an add on or whatever?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Must investigate Foxit, then. I have to 'upgrade' Adobi more often than I use it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reminds me of a definition of computer programming I saw many years ago;

"Moving things about and remembering where you put them."

Reply to
Huge

I used Foxit until it started to give me loads of problems (can't remember any details). I now use Sumatra.

which works well & has not offered the slightest difficulty.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

En el artículo , Sam Plusnet escribió:

Foxit adds itself to the Word toolbar by default. I find this objectionable. You can disable it, but it is automatically re-enabled when you install an (Foxit) update.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Strangely, that has not happened to me.

Reply to