OT: PDF viewer for Windows

Can anyone recommend a good free PDF viewer for Windows 7? Preferably not Adobe.

Reply to
Huge

PDF-Xchange is working well for me. It's nice to be able to avoid anything Adobe.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Foxit reader can be ok - make sure you do a customer install to drop any added "bonus" apps. It can have difficulty running some javascript in custom form fields though.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 for Foxit.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

+1 for PDF-Xchange

Any recommendations for a PDF printer driver, anyone?

Reply to
GB

Chrome has a built in viewer.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

FoxIT reader here too.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

It's for my 83 y/o mother. No way am I installing another browser for her.

Sounds like Foxit is the thing. I shall download & have a play with it so I know what it looks like.

Thanks, all.

Reply to
Huge

By far the best is PDF Factory Pro, but it's money! There is a version which puts, IIRC, a footnote across saved PDFs, but it's not too obtrusive. My installation doesn't mark the PDF for some reason :-) PDF24 could be OK - I tried most of them about 12 years ago, so any info. is badly out of date. PDF Factory was by far the most ergonomic, flexible and convenient (useable) and I'm still using the same old version.

PDF-XChange Editor is very good with excellent support via the forum:

Because of the name of the company I did a lot of research before using its software!

Reply to
PeterC

I bought Fineprint PDFFactory quite a few years ago. Version 5.5. When I installed win XP a couple of years later, PDFFactory stopped working, and FinePrint told me to pay full price for the newer version. They seemed to have no concept that it might be a maintenance issue for them to see to. Nor that customers won't want to buy the same software from them repeatedly.

So, no, I won't be using that company again.

Reply to
GB

What is the problem with adobe reader? Its accessible which most are not, or if you just want the text there is one that strips out all the pictures on the webbie site. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I use cutePDF, it's quite lightweight (doesn't do form filling, probably doesn't handle all encryption types, doesn't do annotation) but I doubt it's on the hackers' radar

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bullzip PDF, free for home and small business use, can do merge printing (e.g. from sage onto an invoice template) it uses ghostscript for its rendering engine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

PDF995 as long as you can put up with the requests to upgrade. It is a good PDF printer

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I've been using CutePDF for number of years. Has always worked fine.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

It's quite bloated if all you want to do is read pdf's

Reply to
Chris French

No I don't, I use SumatraPDF, it's been a hard week!

Reply to
Andy Burns

No probs. I'll try that one, too.

Reply to
Huge

+1 - I use that on Windows PCs at home. And it's used on the 5,000+ PCs at work, which likely says something about something.

Would it be churlish to mention PDF printing/reading is built in to macs? ;-)

Reply to
RJH

That's bad. I'm still on XP and using v3.5!

Reply to
PeterC