OT ... PC upgrade

You are the first person I have ever heard prefer Vista over Win7.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Its a product based on Linux with their own add-ons. If you want the add-ons you pay, if you don't its free.

Reply to
dennis

already run Microsoft windows 7 check tool ... apart from one app all OK

Reply to
Rick Hughes

As you may know I only use the PC for limited things. Browsing, using Firefox. Audio editing etc with ProTools. And tuning the MegaSquirt.

I was happy enough with XP. The laptop I bought came with Vista. I positively hated that - everything I wanted to do made it nag and nag before refusing. Win7 seemed to cure all that, and I now prefer it to XP.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, so you have changed your mind, and now there *is* money in linux and free software....

only took you three posts time time dennis.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ricky baby, go buy WTH you like. For the rest of us:

As all my apps are MS windows apps .... don't want to switch to a non-compatible OS and start again.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

agree with you there, my compnay uses modified RedHat on all it's products ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Dave I'll be the 2nd then, and admit to liking Vista ... it was an improvement on Windows 95 However I know it has it's issues, and that is why I stated the post on W7

Reply to
Rick Hughes

WinME!!! Aargh! The devil's cul-de-sac of operating systems. Replaced it with Win2K and never had any bother after that (until I bought a new graphics card and had to upgrade to XP, which is also trouble- free).

And Win 7 is considerably better than Fista.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

You're not replying to Dennis....

Reply to
John Williamson

No.

Probably the compassionate thing to do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Been using it as primary desktop for a coule of years now.

Nearly all 'issues' have been resolved by updates. Its fast and clean and only rarely gets into issues - and that's generally badly written apps, not the OS.

I run Virtualbox with a gash copy of XP in it for some CAD stuff that needs windows.

I use Debian because its several notches behind the bleeding edge. I don't want latest and greatest, I just want a boring computer that works.

I was a computer professional for too long to be that interested in playing with a computer for its own sake.

I dont see the point really. Just download and burn a live DVD if you want to try...

If you like it ENIUGH make it your primary OS and stick anything windows-ish on a dual boot (for gamming speeds) or a virtual machine (anything else)

I am sure office libre or open office have books. For simple stuff the file formats are compatible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

why would I want to?

This computer is pure native Linux and always has been. I switched off the Windoze PC once I had a windows virtual machine for the two programs I need windows for.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need to read more carefully, I haven't said that. As I said there is no money in linux or free software.

Reply to
dennis

Don't worry about it, some people in this group think i post everything they disagree with, they don't actually bother to read it.

Reply to
dennis

Thst where you will run ito issues.

Mine is a bog standard desktop. Everthing works. I've got two laptops as well..they all work too bar a few issues with the mouse pad on one - not full functionality - and the low power modes on the other.

There is plenty in supporting it..Especially in the professional market. It is the server of choice these days below SUN level.

No, they download it, decide they love it and never look back.

Assuming they have some intelligence and knowledge of computers

If they are thick and think they are smart, they buy windows. If they are thick and rich and think they are smart, they buy a Mac,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use prefer in the same vein as "Would you prefer to be shot in the leg or the arm?"!

I've been playing with Win7 on and off for the last 24 hours. I've turned off a shedload of things and uninstalled all manner of crap in the same way I do with Vista[1] and I'm swinging 7-wards. I've finally made the TaskBar look WinXP like which was my biggest gripe. If I can get Explorer to look XP-like (it's too clagged with "My This" & "My That") and hide bloody stupid shortcuts that I can't follow then I might even abandon a WinXP install.

[1] Vista, like Win95, can be cured of the things that make people moan about it. In 95 it was the dynamic swap file sizing. Fix that and it was stable as anything. Vista with endless services turned off (I'm looking at you SuperFetch and UAC) is actually ok.
Reply to
Scott M

Everything is, with dennis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't sell software. They sell support for software..the software is of course 'free'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

about 25p IIRC.

Reply to