OT; PC Screen?

The screen on my PC died recently, FUBERED.

I'm currently using one that SWMBO had as part of a package deal on her PC. She couldn't stand it & neither can I.

Its a 15" Lite View. Horrible, dull, no contrast, no speakers.

I've got some vouchers for Comet so I'll be buying it there - prolly not the best deal I know, but I have the vouchers.

I've got no idea about screens - technical spec or brand names. I want something bigger than this 15", maybe 17 or 19. Oh, I do want built in speakers

Could someone please advise on the models here?

The Medway Handyman

FUBARED do you mean?

mark

Reply to
mark

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Very few monitors - all flat screen now, of course - come with built-in speakers - they'd either make the monitor much bulkier or sound like tinny junk, so you'd be far better off with stand-alone speakers.

How about

with
?prodid=SP-047-LG

Reply to
Adrian

Acer X193W or ET.XX3HE.001 should be good quality, and 19" is the 'sweet spot' for value at present.

Just buy some desktop speakers, and then you can listen to decently reproduced music....

Reply to
Steve Walker

Whatever you buy, make sure it has DVI. And use it if your PC can do so. (At least you will be ready for the PC you buy which does have it.) Of course, you probably want VGA/DSUB as well for widest compatibility.

(We have four monitors in the house. Two Samsungs and two 'others'. Happy with 3 out of four. One of the 'others' is/was a Lite View. :-( )

Reply to
Rod

My speakers are crap. the size of a 10p piece. Abandoned them in favour of some cheapies from Asda

Reply to
John

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

the best quality, but good enough at £120 + VAT

more space on the screen than you can shale a stick at

Reply to
geoff

budget screens the Acer ones are usually ok. The big widescreen samsungs can be very nice as well (or better still a pair of 24" ones on a dual head card ;-)). The LGs are usually ok as well.

It worth noting that the sound from audio equipped flat panels is generally poor. If all you want to here is the clicks and squeaks of windows then they are fine, but watching movies etc will be disappointing. Video7, and agNeovo are good sources of monitors with speakers, but you will probably not find them at comet.

If you go for a larger widescreen model, its worth checking if your graphics card is up to the required resolution. Note that LCDs look horrible if run at anything other than their native resolution.

Reply to
John Rumm

Clicks, squeaks & the sound on video clips, no music. My old screen had built in speakers & I was happy with those.

Where would I find the info on what graphics card I have?

Cheers

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Device Manager.

Use and, at while holding that down, press . This brings up the system properties. Choose the Hardware tab, and then Device Manager.

(I always remember this key combo by 'Windows breaks' - yes it does, doesn't it.)

Reply to
Rod

In article , geoff writes

Nice looking monitor but cant find it under 145 + vat, any pointers?

Reply to
fred

My local PCman,

who never stocks anything he isn't prepared to give a proper warranty on, currently stocks Samsung and Ilyama.

We've got three Samsung syncmasters here. Last of the old 4x3 aspect ratios, bought a little cheaper as a result.

Run at their native resolution, they are more than adequate.

A good screen is the MAJOR cost of a PC. Dont skimp.

And, probably, don't buy from Comet either. I doubt they will be around to honour any warranties in 6 months time..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He needs to spend them on something there.

The warranty will be with the manufacturer anyway

Reply to
chris French

I just bought a 20" Samsung SyncMaster from eBuyer.com. I'm overjoyed with it (no HDMI though). It replaced a Hansol 19" CRT that took up

9/10 of my desk, and most of the output of the local nuclear power station.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

just got one of these and it's brilliant. Shop around - I got a white one from Dabs for less than 100 quid. It has DVI input as well as analogue.

Reply to
jeffrey.r.helm

Warranties, and any claim for breach of contract, are always with the seller unless the manufacturer offers their own specific warranty regardless of seller like most hard disk manufacturers do.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Well, I wouldn't term it warranties, but yes, your legal contract is with the seller.

Pretty much any electrical item I've ever bought has at least a years warranty from the manufacturer, the last 2 monitors had 3 yr IIRC.

Reply to
chris French

In which case he should use his vouchers pronto.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Rod's told you how to find the device details but, simply, your existing card probably has a connector that looks like:

connectors look like:

can get adaptors like:

(Digital Video Interface?) is the future-proof connector. The chances are that a monitor with a DVI connector will also have a VGA connector - my LG ones do. (And the DVI cards that I bought a few weeks ago came with an adaptor.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

To answer your questions, using your link, and with no idea for how much you want to spend, then the HP w1907v on the homepage - £129.99 will be good enough, I'm quite sure.

I'm twin-viewed with a Dell and Benq, I bought the wife a HP to twin with her LG. I can happily say that the HP gives good strong vibrant colours, and good contrast.

Once caveat - the Brightview screens are very reflective, so not so good if you have a lot of bright stray light. If, however, like us you spend many an hour in a darkened room, the HPs are good solid monitors.

The speakers will be, well, crap, but that seems to be all you want from them.

As others have said - don't buy Comet. But, like you say, you will - the above is my recommendation for a reasonably priced monitor. Review in store, if possible, too, with a movie file / fast animation, although the days of slow LCDs are well behind us. This advice is worth what you paid me for it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd