[OT] PAT testing

Outrageous!

Anyway, everybody knows builders &c. work more efficiently if you supply them with strong tea & biscuits. Shepherd Mead documented this (from a foreigner's perspective) in 1964.

Reply to
Adam Funk

The last set of workmen I had in, preferred (properly brewed) coffee and home baked cakes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

True, & the gasfitter I hired recently only wanted coffee. But the general principle!!!

Reply to
Adam Funk

I prefer the local Blacksmiths tea, the same as domestic tea but with mystery black bits :-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

What the HSE actually encourages is for the user to check before each use. Which will actually tend to pick up problems.

It basically appears to be a money making scheme

IME it dosn't. At best it's an expensive waste of time.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Assuming that the device was not damaged by inappropriate testing. In many cases only the mains lead could possibly need any kind of such testing in the first place. Even PSUs with IEC C6 and C14 don't always connect the earth pin.

Do they have anyone checking for kettles being used with multi-way extensions?

Reply to
Mark Evans

I've seen several cases of unsafe stuff given green stickers. Typically loose cable clamps but in one case a rewirable plug which wasn't clamped at all. Where contractors are being paid by device there's obviously a huge temptation to just plaster stickers everywhere. Regardless of if tests have been carried out in the first place. Even if they can be carried out. e.g. double insulated and SELV devices. (I've seen stickers appear on USB devices.)

Reply to
Mark Evans