OT - Parcels

Royal Mail delays, and it worked extremely well. For heavier parcels (towards the upper limit of 10 kg) it also offers a substantial saving on Royal Mail prices.

You buy the posting label online and stick it to the package, then take it to your nearest participating PayPoint outlet. The package It is delivered to the recipient's nearest participating PayPoint outlet and can be collected at any time that outlet is open. Many are convenience stores that are open until late.

You designate which PayPoint outlets will be used for despatch and delivery at the time of placing your order online with Collect+. This is particularly attractive to recipients who are not at home during the day and find the Royal Mail delivery office counter's opening hours are inconvenient.

I now intend to offer Collect+ as an alternative to Royal Mail for all my eBay sales.

[I'd like to thank the militant oiks at the Communication Workers' Union for encouraging me to look for an alternative to Royal Mail.]
Reply to
Bruce

Bit like the old red star railway service.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funnily enough, I used to use Red Star for the family mail order business. ;-)

At least Collect+ has many more outlets.

Reply to
Bruce

That aspect caught my eye when I looked at the site. Also along with the online tracking, which *may* satisfy PayPal's requirements. Though the =A340 insurance limit might be another stumbling block.

That is a snag, I think the local Co-op is a PayPoint outlet(*) so selecting a despatch node isn't that difficult but how do I know where the nearest or most convient PayPoint outlet for the recipient is? You have to ask, OK not a big deal for anyone with half a brain cell but I can see it being a "challenge" for some.

(*) It is according to

but it's not part of the Collect+ scheme according to the Collect+ site. The nearest Collect+ Store is in Stanhope 20 odd miles away. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, put in the destination postcode and look at the results?

I seem to have one Collect+ node within half a mile, and two more within a mile? And I'm in a smaller 'village' than one of the earlier posters...about 50,000 AFAIR...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You're a liar, then, if that's the way you want to put it

or - whatever ...

goblok

Reply to
geoff

Follow the star:

Collect+

Still quite a town. The population here is just over 2,000... One could just plump for the nearest node to the recipient but that might not be the most convient for them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Guess it is rollout phase, have visions of Mr Samir having to find space for couple of complete central heating installs in the back shop...

Largest mail order retailer in UK, Littlewoods, Great Universal etc and guess probably eventual owner or major shareholder of HDN

=A33.99 it competes very well at the heavy end , RM Standard Parcels for 10Kg is just over =A312 Parcelfarce is about =A315, standard insurance with them is =A339.

Red Star used to be for when it had to be, absolutely, positively lost in transit...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

You can probably see the "village" by just looking over the Thames from where you are. The whole of the riverside is serviced by a Parcel Farce depot the far side of Chelmsford.

Reply to
Alan

I suspect that might be one of the reasons that our Co-op, though a PayPoint place, isn't Collect+, lack of space.

Limited.

On the page you linked to HDNL is a subsidiary of Shop Direct Group. And don't forget that GUS had Argos Retail Group and Experian before it was split/sold/merged with Littlewoods. Littlewoods, as in retail no longer exists, it was sold to Argos.

Looks like David and Federick Barclay (aka the "Barclay Brothers") effectively control a massive chunk of the UK retail market. Even a little digging shows that Homebase also comes under their control, via the Home Retail Group (aka Argos).

Agreed =A33.99 for upto 10kg is good. Pity that there is no node near us. Don't think anything I sent Redstar was ever lost. Damn good service TBH. Get it to the station, it will be on the next train to the destination and ready for pickup 1/2hr or so after that train arrives. Pick the timing to get a "fast" train and stuff will be at the other end of the country far faster than you could drive or fly it there. Not overly expensive either IIRC.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Especially if the Collect+ outlet is several miles from their home but there happens to be another one next door from where they work in the next town.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Ditto that. I used Red Star many times with no problems.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Back jn the day bike couriering used to collect Red Star, usual format was to check what was meant to be arriving first, ad agencies used to get cases of prototype booze sent that way, well they did until very few arrived, if it was Red Star for certain agencies knew could sod off for half an hour then just radio in that it was missing, it would be and local RS office wouldn`t even be aware of its existence, same differnce to us got a minimum for it.

Artwork over A3 tended to fare badly as well, picked up a lot of distance jobs from Red Star for things like that, ironically lot of them would get done by getting the train.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby