OT: Packaway raincoat

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of packaway/rollup rain coat? My trusty Peter Storm has finally given up the ghost, so I need to replace it. Are Peter Storm still any good?

Reply to
Huge

I assume your Peter Storm was the plastic type and not breathable?

It would be useful to know how you intend to use it (beyond wearing it in the rain).

Light casual use, hard core all day hill walking? Summer (if you have a heavier duty coat) or all year round. Only coat or backup?

Peter Storm IIRC are one of the better budget varieties for occasional light use; however it is a while since I looked.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

These days, this. My tramping about over Scottish hillside days are over.

Reply to
Huge

I'd really rather not know that sort of thing. At least not on this group.

Anyway, pac a macs are £3.20 at Peacocks

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

How can that only cost £3 ???!!!

Reply to
GB

Quite likely it is bankruptcy stock. I wonder if it used to be a BHS item.

Reply to
Nightjar

What's wrong with a black bin bag with a hole cut for the head and optional holes for the arms?

Reply to
alan_m

Because it costs about 37p ex works in China by the containerload.

More perplexing is who on earth would pay £30 for it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It's only water, are you a witch or something? Why do you have to keep dry?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Asuming you want a full-length coat & not a short jacket.

I bought a size larger than usual.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

how can they make a pair of jeans for a fiver?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Too small.

Reply to
Huge
[23 lines snipped]

That's what I feared.

Reply to
Huge

laser cut them from a dollar of cloth in batches of 20, over to machinists who can sew one in less than 10 mins for less than a dollar. add in rivets labels and so on, and pack in bulk boxes and ship to UK

Total cost $2.50. Markup 300%.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anyone got any experience with the rain ponchos that are in use at festivals and Rio closing ceremonies eg:

from 79p !

Reply to
AnthonyL

I borrowed a "mac in a sac" the other day and was so impressed I bought one straight away. About 30 quid but well made and substantial enough but still packs up small enough to carry easily:

Pete.

Reply to
PJK

Sold here as the cheap version of waterproofs which can be carried and meet the fell running association's requirements :-)

Reply to
Clive George

FWIW I've ordered one of the £15 breathable Peter Storm cagoule, which should be arriving tomorrow. Given the high temperatures expected in the next few days, it should be ready for service in my shopping rucksack when the rain returns in a vengeance.

Currently seems only stock of XL and XXL left.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I always wondered why it is that I don't here of loads of fell runners freezing to death. They always seem just to wear a T shirt and shorts, whilst I'm carrying the whole works "just in case". So, they take a pac-a-mac with them. Makes sense. :)

Reply to
GB

So what was it like?

Reply to