OT Overpopulation

Britain in a few years due to immigration?

Reply to
harryagain

You are the Grim Reaper and I claim my five pounds :-)

Reply to
Bod

We have a long way to go before reaching the population density of The Netherlands, or even Belgium. Some of the most densely populated countries and territories in the world are Monaco, Gibraltar, Vatican City, Bahrain, Malta, Jersey and Guernsey.

Reply to
Nightjar

Hong Kong.

Reply to
Bod

Not sure I would want to live in Hong Kong since it reverted to China.

Reply to
Nightjar

All of which are unrepresentative due to being tiny.

Reply to
Huge

That's because we have mountainous regions which are not suitable for housing.

Reply to
charles

They still demonstrate that, give a high enough per capita income, it is possible to live very comfortably with high population densities.

Reply to
Nightjar

Its possible to live very comnfortably an a 6' x 4' cell.

Its tough to impose it on someone used top living in a cottage surrounded by fields.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dartmoor/Exmoor/Yorkshire moors. These are all vast areas, largely unpopulated yet, but perfectly habitable. There are many other large areas that are suitable for building houses on.

Reply to
Bod

On 08/04/15 09:56, Nightjar >>> We have a long way to go before reaching the population density of The

The point is though, that most of the world's population have a pretty poor standard of living. If they all quite justifiably demand what the West has, which they will, then consumption and waste will go through the roof. Why do we want to live like rats, when using a bit of intelligence, we could all live comfortably ?

Reply to
Andy Cap

But do we want every square mile of the contry covered in houses ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Of course not, but there's still plenty of room for many more houses without taking too much of the green belt. There also many brownfield sites to be built on. A heck of a lot of rich landowners need to release the land that they are sitting on and waiting for a profit. They own lots of land that is doing nothing.

Reply to
Bod

I am sure they'd love to - if planning permission were available for housing.

Fix that and there'll be no shortage of land.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good to hear from one with first hand experience.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have to admit, I never had TurNiP down as having been a member of a monastic order.

Reply to
Adrian

Might explain his fascination with Brian Cox. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Define "nothing".

Reply to