OT: Online Accounts

Yes, I was just commenting that insecure wifi won't open up that particular hole.

My router isn't on that address, it isn't on the default password (and isn't Sky!), it's locked to outside traffic, it isn't the DHCP server, and it doesn't do DNS relaying.

But I do worry about the average (say, Sky) user. You are right.

Reply to
Bob Eager

All belkins? Sky routers?

they do tell you to change it.

easily fixed by setting the dns in tcp/ip properties.

Reply to
dennis

Easily fixed by anyone who doesn't think the internet works by unicorns and rainbows; but to those who assume routers and PCs don't need fiddling with any more than their telly needs fiddling with, they're just waiting to get caught.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is something called the "Wireless Access-Control Research Project".

Reply to
Mark

The majority of internet users don't even know how to use email properly.(just had a 'forwarded' joke yesterday with

117 addies of complete strangers).

I reckon most users just use the default values and don't know how to amend anything they haven't had to choose during a set up. (and often use the same password for everything)

Reply to
JTM

Most people don't fiddle with their TV and accept the default garish colours and contrast settings provided by the manufacturers to show of their TV in the shop.

Reply to
Alan

I'm sure that extra R wasn't there before I sent the reply :) Perhaps someone has hacked into my wireless network?

Reply to
Alan

Keyloggers from the 1990's perhaps, but these days many take screenshots at regular intervals and/or upon every mouse click.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

That was my point (generalising horribly) that those same people leave passwords and encryption settings as the default values the router comes with out of the box.

Reply to
Andy Burns