OT One Vulcan still flying!

And the Marina largely just a re-bodied version of it.

Are you sure it was 105E based? Most were based on the earlier side valve cars with separate chassis.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a 100E in a 1956 series 2 Morgan. 3 speed gearbox! I was once embarrassed being overtaken by a lorry on that slow uphill from Watford Gap!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think you're probably right. As I said, I never even got it working, I bought it, we towed it to our students' house, it sat on the grass verge for a while, then somebody offered me money for it. So it was a 100E?

Reply to
Davey

Dunno. There were several 'E' numbers that could have provided the chassis.

The 105E was really when Ford moved into the 20th century with a small car. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Model T was 20th century !

Reply to
charles

True. But I once worked on a contract to install a new paintshop in a truck factory in Ontario, Canada, and we reckoned that we had dragged the company kicking and screaming into the 19th Century by the time we were finished. They have closed down since then, to nobody's surprise.

Reply to
Davey

;-) And in many ways cutting edge for its time - unlike the sit up and beg Anglia, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect the "sit up and beg Anglia" & Prefect were all that could be produced quickly in the aftermath of WW2. They were really pre-war machines. The 105E and its bigger brother, the 123E (I had the estate), were modern machines. I had driven a Popular before that. And I went on to buy a Cortina Mk3 which I kept for 13 years!

Reply to
charles

It's amazing that Ford could still be selling the sit up and beg cars as late as 1959 - side valves, white metal bearings, no water pump, vacuum wipers etc. By comparison the 1948 Minor was technically way ahead.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Well yes. But Austin managed to produce an all new small car with OHV and

4 speed gearbox in the late '40s. Not some 10 years later like Ford.

Yes - Ford finally got its act together. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The A30 even more so. The '48 Minor still had a basically pre-war engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hope you avoided the 1200cc 3 bearing engine:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I paid ?150 for my over head knocker Mk 3 Cortina and got 5 years out of it. I got 15 scrap for it, there was not much metal left.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire