OT Old three piece suite

This is the one - have a look at around 27 mins.

GB

Thats why I say get it re upholstered.

With a sticker on it, its worth a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Might as well have used broom handles ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

officially, you can't even do that with it.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Well if you must get a bunch of gay BBC presenters to butcher a reasonably OK sofa into arsebandit style, you wont sell it will you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't stand the programme, but SWMBO loves it! What amazes me is that people are prepared to pay good money and lots of it for stuff that starts as rubbish and ends up as different rubbish, often worse rubbish, and call it shabby chic! Plain shabby IMO.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well they won't take anything without the right label round here its liability driven. I had a nice granite table lamp in the shape of a lighthouse and they would not take it due to the fact the wire is not double insulated and the hole is probably too small for a double insulated wire to be pulled through. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I seriously wondered about the safety of the result. Those tubes are inherently fragile IME, and when broken release nasties (if you're into worrying about that sort of thing) as well as just plenty of shards of thin broken glass. She could have used broom handles or scrap piping with equal effect and much safer. I wonder how long it will last (the chandelier, I mean, not the programme).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If anyone needs a comfy padded sofa ...

Surprised if it wouldn't sell in London. People in London will buy anything . A newspaper style feature had lampshades in for £140. Identical ones in Tesco were £15 reduced to £3.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Labels are obtainable on ebay.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

An 'interiors designer' I know paid £100 each for what appeared to be lumps of half rotten oak roughly squared with a chainsaw 'those will crack when they dry out' They did.

You see Art is all about individual perception. There is no objective standard for what is Art and what is pretentious gay rubbish.

And the Art world is *run* by pretentious gays...as my late uncle (RA) gloomily remarked 'you don't get to be famous if you are not a poof'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reminds me of walking round a US new furniture shop 20 years ago and seeing a salesman carefully punching scratches, dents holes into a new piece of wooden furniture. He said This is what the customers want it to look like, or I can't sell it! The US is full of chinese made crap faux aged furniture, as that is what the customers are brainwashed into thinking they want. Fortunately there are a lot of small Amish and other real wood furniture makers left, so it is possible to go to the craft fairs and buy beautiful products to a Chippendale/Ercol standard at quite reasonable prices.

Reply to
Capitol

Up ere in Lovejoy's Suffolk, the correct method was to take Eric's motorbike chain and wrap it in an old army blanket and belabour the piece.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our local freecycle has a ready supply of cockerels and goats on it. I'm sure you're not meant to have live animals, either.

Reply to
Adrian

If you have transport, you might try FreeCycle with an offer to deliver. Might be less work than taking it to the tip, where you might have to pay anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you seem to be referring to a restriction of the site,

not a statutory ban on transferring the ownership of the item (to unknown third parties)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Meh.

Reply to
Adrian

Was he famous? ;)

Reply to
GB

I have a smallish saloon car; the settee is a four seater with a highish back, and there are two arm-chairs; there's only me to manoeuver them; I'm in my early 70's; I don't want a hernia or worse. A man with a van would be my third choice; second choice would be to pay the council to collect it; first choice would be someone who wants them comes and collects them. My bet is on my second choice.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You could saw it up into easily manageable pieces. I'm not going to mention angle grinders.

If you ask the council to collect it, you may have to hang around waiting for them for ages. Will they collect from inside the house?

Reply to
GB