OT - Old PC - Free Operating System Ideas

Hang on, not only can you not do this with a mouse, as its claimed everything can be done in windows, its not even possible with a text editor, which is what people cant apparently use in Linux (although they can in windows, to edit their HOSTS file, apparently) - no, this requires you WRITE SOME CODE!!

sheesh, Is windows still in the 20th century???

;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

er yes, I do know that...;-) Sometimes it doesn't work if the code gets stuck deep in the kernel.

One of the better ways is to have a NFS mounted file system and disconnect the network and then try and access the drive that is no longer there.

It does time out after a few tens if minutes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh gas woddles nym shifted again?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chris,

Thanks, yes, I looked into that one before. Indeed it just returns a nice string that looks OK, trouble is it is not a string that can be found in the tz database - see:

Any of those strings plus a number of others are supported by PHP:

Reply to
Tim Streater

There's a few possible approaches here:

But it looks like reading the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation

is what you need to do and the way to do that on windows with php is maybe here.

But the real answer is, if you want to write php server code, don't start with windows .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

It's wonderful if you're mounting between Linux machines, but if you try and add in, e.g. Solaris or Tru64 boxes you come across all kinds of weird problems.

On Linux, you can add "bg, intr" to the mount options so that it doesn't block and wait several minutes to timeout a share that's disappeared, e.g.

mount -v -t nfs server:/share /mountpoint -o rw,bg,intr

Changing the block size to 8k can also make a big difference to performance.

mount -v -t nfs server:/share /mountpoint -o rw,bg,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Tim Streater writes

Ah, I thought you might have found it and wondered if there was a catch.

I suppose in extremis you could do your own lookup table to convert the windows string to a suitable PHP understandable one?

Reply to
Chris French

Well yes, but CIFS? spawn of a bigger devil

Yup. Its not even guaranteed between linux as I discovered - later linuxes against earlier servers was takong several minutes to mount - turned out that it was defaulting to a different protocol ..

Im OK with performance

I tried auto and bg IIRC but that led to other issues

Anyway its no big deal because if the server is down almost nothing on this PC works properly anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That will indeed make a big difference to performance - it will make it much worse.

The default rsize and wsize are way bigger than 8k these days:

$ grep -o '[rw]size[^,]*,' /proc/mounts rsize=1048576, wsize=1048576, rsize=1048576, wsize=1048576, rsize=1048576, wsize=1048576,

Reply to
Geoff Clare

En el artículo , Geoff Clare escribió:

It depends on the network. I did a *lot* of testing and found 8k to be the optimum size, because that is the size of the buffers in the network switches we used (Cisco 29xx 100Mbit/s). Any larger and packet fragmentation caused performance to drop.

Also, you may remember I said we were using NFS mounts on Solaris and Tru64 UNIX kit as well, so I had to take those into account. Tru64 locked up hard with an NFS rsize and wsize larger than 8k. Rather inconvenient when it happens to be your main server cluster.

So? Doesn't make it right in all cases. It depends on the specific network, and the optimum size can only be determined by empirical testing on that network.

Those values would also be no good for NFS over the internet.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Does it take windows 10 out in the same way or are you still decades old and why don't you use decades old linux? I know you are old and going senile but you really should try as complaining about decades old software as though its the current stuff is just stupid.

Reply to
dennis

Modify the installer so it asks the TZ and enters it into the php.ini file?

Reply to
dennis

has memory management changed at all in the last 15 years?

It wouldn't affect the program crashing if I did upgrade, anyway. It might not take out windows., that's all, but since restarting windows in a VM is seconds only, it hardly matters.

However the whole thread was about the issues inherent in an OLD XP set up versus a NEW LINUX setup, so you are moving the goal posts

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

$ grep -o '[rw]size[^,]*,' /proc/mounts rsize=131072, wsize=131072, rsize=131072, wsize=131072, rsize=131072, wsize=131072, rsize=131072, wsize=131072, rsize=131072, wsize=131072, rsize=131072, wsize=131072,

My blocksize is bigger than your blocksize!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sheesh, PHP is written by the same open source community as linux is, if they can't do something this simple users had better forget about linux until it gets to the 19th century.

Reply to
dennis

That's odd it says its compatible with

Windows 10 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8.1 (64-bit), Windows 8 Pro (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 Enterprise (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 Enterprise N (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 Basic (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (including Starter Edition 32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Vista (including Starter Edition 32-bit) Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9 Mavericks Mobile Operating Systems: iOS, Android, Windows 8 RT, Windows 10 Mobile Other: Debian (5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3) (supported by the automatic installer), Fedora (9, 9.0, 10, 10.0, 11.0, 11, 12, 12.0), HPUX 11 and Solaris 8/9, Linux (9.4, 9.5), Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0 (supported with a pre-built package), SUSE Linux (10.3, 11.0, 11, 11.1, 11.2), Ubuntu (8.04, 8.04.1, 8.04.2, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04)

Maybe you just forgot?

Reply to
dennis

Those answers don't work unless you have previously *set* the timezone in your PHP script. Chicken and egg.

Entering that the the c: prompt gives me:

Involves adding an extension to PHP, which I have no idea how to do so can't advise a user how to do it. At this point I don't know, either, what the returned info might look like. If it gives me the same as TZUTIL then I'm no further forward :-)

Well of course. But I'm not writing server code. This is all on the user's machine. They decide what to run it on, not me.

Looks like your .sig delimiter is missing the space.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I could, yes, but it's easier to let the user edit a line in one of the scripts.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It was certainly irritating when this started happening, that is, until you tell PHP what the time zone is, no time/date function will work. Happened around PHP 3.3, IIRC. I dunno why PHP doesn't find out for itself on startup. I also dunno why when you ask Windows what the timezone is, you get a non-standard ambiguous string back.

Reply to
Tim Streater

THats because its not a file, its a key value pair in the registry. Try regedit.

] Its documented on the net

At this point I don't know, either,

have a look with regedit

how come you are using PHP then? Thats server side code.

Use java or javascript for client side

occasionally gets deleted

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher