[OT] Oh god it's started

9 yr old daughter yabbering to friend (I'm busy working at home, school holiday has started for them)

Just noticed SipGate VOIP (our default number) auto-crediting £10 (I get an email).

£14 in calls today, she's calling her friend's mum's (I assume) mobile...

Little word about the mertits of landline numbers...

I feel doomed now

Reply to
Tim Watts

- 2 p (plus VAT) per minute.

So that would have been about £2.83

If it was a land line, and you had free minutes, it would have been free :-)

Reply to
Toby

Now would be a good time to install a payphone.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , Tim Watts writes

How long will it take you to write a script to auto debit her pocket money spreadsheet ;-?

Reply to
fred

Why has a 9-yr old child got a mobile phone?

Reply to
Tim Streater

to summon the parental taxi service?

Reply to
charles

Get her a basic mobile with a giffgaff sim - get all her friends to do the same. Free GG to GG calls as long as theres credit in the account.

ob. referral code:

Once you setup one, they setup another and so on an you both get a fivers credit for it..

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On Friday 24 May 2013 16:51 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

She hasn't - she's using the house phone with my permission. I did not realise that the only number for her friend in our contacts list was her mum's mobile. Now I'm grateful that Sipgate is a PAYG with £10 auto topups and an email to confirm!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Friday 24 May 2013 17:02 Gordon Henderson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not a daft idea - there's an old simless iPhone lying about (unlocked).

It was a good lesson for her to see relative call costs.

The Oh God was about the phase where she spends 4 hours on the phone has just started and will never end...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Friday 24 May 2013 16:46 fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Friday 24 May 2013 16:16 Toby wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ooh - interesting.

No reason I cannot set up another VOIP provider on the phone - the Gigaset I have takes 4 IIRC and I've only used 2. Makes sense - give them one each (the lad too, later) and make them responsible for their own call costs.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Huh, I had to walk everywhere. Then I got roller skates and used those. Then I got a bike and used that. Taxi service my arse!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wait until she discovers handbags. Or cosmetics. Or shoes. Or the hairdresser Heh Heh!

Reply to
harry

and it's been topped up within the last three months.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wondered that. Eleventh birthday seems to be the norm round here. Beginning of the end so you might as well delay it as long as possible. Little chavs!

Reply to
stuart noble

On Friday 24 May 2013 18:29 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Arrrrgggghhh

Reply to
Tim Watts

Agreed nothing like educating them into the cost of things as soon as yo u can. No.1 Daughter has a PAYG mobile, £10/month top up from me (if she needs it) any overspend she has to fund. Tesco Mobile, that £10 top up gets tripled to £30 but that £20 free credit only lasts a month but is used first. The £10 real money credit does not expire.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not at all, things she *needs* are bought for her, like a school bag or school shoes etc. Fancy bags or shoes she has to buy or at least make a contribution. Cosmetics are totally up to her. Hair dye is her, shampoo and normal, routine, haircut is us.

Of course at the end of the day all "her money" has come out of my wallet but she does appreciate the cost of things and is PDG at budgeting. No.1 Daughter is 16.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was all CB when I were young, bit illegal, but...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The tesco "triple" deal is, IMHO, pointless. The tesco lite tariff is much cheaper and none of the credit expires.

Reply to
Mark