OT Oh Delilah!

I am not a football fan,in fact if I wake up feeling like football I go back to bed until I feel better. However Stoke City FC sing Oh Delilah as their anthem. Now the Politically correct police want it banned as it is "disrespectful" to woman. What on earth is life becoming?

Reply to
Broadback

They keep the masses addicted to football so that they can use it as a vehicle for making sure that people understand what is currently 'good' and what is 'bad'. To avoid duplication of effort, they've made sure that women like it, too. Once you realise that, so much of what at first sight appears to be just nonsense, suddenly makes sense.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

So is it supposed to be taking over from religion then (I don't do that either). ;-)

What I enjoy about football, especially what I understand are the 'bigger matches' is just how nice it is to go out on my motorcycle and enjoy the empty roads for a couple of hours. ;-)

Apart from the whole 'tribal' thing of team games, I could never see the fun / point of watching someone else 'play a game' ...? I like walking, cycling and rowing but wouldn't assume for one second to ask someone to pay me to do such or expect anyone else to want to watch me do it either.

'World champion' (of those bothered to give it a go ...).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think they've pretty much killed off religion. Well, Christianity, at least.

I've an old Triumph T100R. It's more off the road than on, to be honest. But I think I like tinkering with it more than riding it.

It always made me laugh when people would say 'we beat so-and-so 2-0 at the weekend'. I'd think, what d'you mean 'we'?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Broadback scribbled

This complaint has been around for a couple of years. Welsh rugby supporters have been singing it for years. Suddenly it's not acceptable to those who don't follow the game.

Jonno

I just don't get the whole thing, especially in this day and age.

Nice.

;-)

The local bike shop sold me a s/h REB 350 (Madras) because they knew I understood it wasn't something you could just thrash about. As you say, 'fettling' was part of the fun / involvement (requirement if you wanted to commute on it in the olden days) with something like that.

Agreed, but I believe they pay regular and fairly high fanatical tributes to their goD's, maybe they have the right. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How does that work then?

I'm not sure how that particular sonnet is connected to football. Its a story song and about some bloke who is driven to murder by his cheating other arf.

Lots of songs contain death and destruction of both sexes.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And threats of physical mutilation:

"If I catch you bending ... I'll saw your legs right off ..."

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is football any more tribal than singles tennis?

Reply to
ARW

In it's following you mean? I think so. If you go to a tennis tournament I don't think you generally just watch two sides, you might see several pairs of players over one session and so would probably support several players over a session?

I certainly don't think it typically supports the sorts of levels of 'devotion' (to one specific team) as you see in football.

I was in a shop today and someone made some football team reference and that started a bit of 'at least they are better than ' whereas I don't think *I've* ever heard the same level of devotion and rivalry with say tennis, golf or rugby (even).

I'm not saying such doesn't exist, just that I don't think it's a prevalent as that for football.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Agreed, although I'm not a fan of any particular league team. Next football I watch will probably be Euro 2016 later this year, then I will not watch again until the next World Cup in 2018. Don't know why, but I always enjoy both of those contests, yet don't follow football in any shape or form between them.

Reply to
News

Interesting. I wonder if it's like people watching 'The Grand National', 'The Boat Race' or 'Wimbledon week', but not watching any of those genres at any other time?

Similar with betting on the outcome of each, when not betting at any other time?

I used to watch a bit of F1 and Formula E is currently on the telly here now and I'm half watching it from a technical POV but I (now?) find it (F1 particularly) pretty processional, unless you are really watching it closely.

I still like some of the in-car shots of the WRC but you don't actually see enough of the race for it to be entertaining to me.

Stock / banger racing can be ok for about 10 mins, along with Speedway but I think the one I used to enjoy most was RallyCross of the olden days or some of the Touring / Saloon car class racing (door handle to door handle stuff).

But then maybe why I don't enjoy watching any of this stuff much is that I'd rather be doing it myself and used to regularly race RC offroad buggies and saloon cars and still enjoy cycling, motorcycling and rowing (touring not racing for the latter group).

There has been the odd (fullsize) racing moment for me though (although by those arms it looks more like a gibbon): ;-)

[1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] 1 hour 'long senior' 'Electralite' (EV) race. I designed, built and raced that 'motorcycle' and it also won me an IEEE award for 'Technical Innovation' (we (the racers) didn't even know the IEEE people where there).
Reply to
T i m

Seems so, how many tennis players have fans wearing the T-shirt that they wear or identify with the singles player. Of course single tennis players are only one person whereas with teams there are many players.

I also think it's far easier to spot a team and fan combination in football than it is with tennis. Football teams also have icons emblems or motives such as a cockeral iof a pair of 'ammers I can't thibk of any tennis player that has such a thing can you ?

Reply to
whisky-dave