OT - of interest to senior members

Yup, SWMBO uses them for the freezer. I nick a few every now and then for the workshop.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You have my sympathy....

MiL's combi boiler is upstairs, in the room she uses for airing. She has a massive 'wing' type airer in there - as well as a spare bed (used to pile rubbish on) and a cheap wardrobe (full of stuff she'll never wear), the side of which faces you immediately on opening the door. To get to the boiler (see below) she has to wriggle round the door, past the wardrobe, then past the airer, to get to the boiler. Entreaties to have the bed cleared of rubbish, dismantled, and got rid of are met with the same incredulity as the suggestion to clear the wardrobe and have it disposed of. The thought of being able to open the door and walk straight to the boiler has no attraction at all for her.

She checks the boiler pressure every day. Having discovered that

0.5 bar is the lower limit for the boiler to operate, and that 1.0 bar is sufficient, she then assumes that 2.0 bar must be better and 3.0 bar the best of all. She's got though loads of pressure vessel replacements (which she complains about) but firmly believes she is in the right.

The same applies to microwave dinners, for the rare times she eats one. The pack might say that 5 minutes on full power is the cooking time, but MiL firmly believes that if 5 minutes is good, 10 minutes must be better! The food is usually uneatable by then, but she won't be told.

Doh!

Reply to
Terry Fields

There's the difference. I don't here you bitching and you have a plan for future years.

Reply to
Fredxx

It has only one licensed use. Indeed, both the SPC and the PIL are very specific about it having only one use. In fact, many pharmacists are happy to assume a Medex simply because of the medicine it is.

When doctors are forced to keep to two month prescriptions by the PCT, getting a three month one just to buck the system is unlikely to be achievable. And, as I said, I do have a Medex so it is not a problem from that POV for me.

Reply to
polygonum

Barking mad. Is that one you set up?

Reply to
harry

Too true. The gov. is robbing anyone with any money saved. You should have bought solar PV panels.

Reply to
harry

Niether do I.

There is a bus that passes the house twice a day during term time, the school bus but they aren't allowed to carry fare paying (or bus pass) passengers on that anymore. Too risky for the children, apparently. TBH I'd say it'd be too risky for the passengers, from the kids. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Watched a Grand Designs again last night - the eco house half buried.

"Which was the most disappointing of all the 'eco features' you did?"

"The solar panels."

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would be useful if all doctors took that view. A couple of medicines wouldn't be too serious if I ran out of them but the Warfarin...! That could prove fatal or worse if I didn't have it.

Reply to
PeterC

Other factors affecting cost are things such as there being a contract for the buses to run (so no real cost for passes) as on my route and how much if the buses are cancelled and the drivers and ancillary staff are out of work. Add in the extra medical costs due to lack of activity (although earlier death might balance this) and pensioners spending in shops in the town and the savings aren't that much.

Reply to
PeterC

And that too is a cheapie:

Warfarin (Non-proprietary) Prescription only medicine

Tablets, warfarin sodium 500 micrograms (white), net price 28-tab pack = £1.67; 1 mg (brown), 28-tab pack = 86p; 3 mg (blue), 28-tab pack = 86p;

5 mg (pink), 28-tab pack = 92p. Label: 10, anticoagulant card

Brands include Marevan®

Get the impression the cost is in the regular testing.

Reply to
polygonum

sand then you can rob EVERYBODY yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Help the aged".

Reply to
dennis

  London SW

I didn't see it. Was it a repeat of the one where there was an existing quarry? What sort of solar panels?

I get an 18% (tax included) return on my outlay. How is that disappointing?

If there was an architect involved, that was probably the reason. They are clueless gits.

Reply to
harry

People that send their kids to state school are robbing everyone. They should be made to pay for their kids education. Also people with bus passes. Also people who eat food. Also people with a state pension.

According to your barking mad theories that is.

Reply to
harry

Yes, that's what the INR nurse told me. I'm now tested every 2 months - it's a bit nerve-wracking as I need 6 months within therapeutic range before ablation.

Reply to
PeterC

What? They're going to put you through re-entry into the atmosphere?

Fingers crossed.

Reply to
polygonum

Not to you, obviously, but you are benefiting from the proceeds of theft.

Reply to
Tim Streater

AIUI, at the time they were introduced the pensionable age for women WAS

  1. Sex equality legislation made the age 60 for men also.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I hadn't thought of it like that but, on reflection, you're probably right.

I hardly ever use mine; the buses seem to be full of youths going to/coming back from a meeting with their probation officers

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave