Objection to mast - best way to object a Vodafone contractor proposing to erect a mast

In article , David McNeish writes

Reply to
tony sayer

Obviously I was being sarcastic.

The chances of BT supplying a telephone box would be minimal & even if they did the chances are that it would be 'out of order' when needed! Also for some unknown reason they are used as urinals, advertisement boards, shag palaces and meeting places for local yobbos. ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Too right, they'd pay me at least 6 grand a year..!! Be somewhere to hang my amateur radio aerials as well ;-)

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Nothing like being close to a phone mast.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's called keeping in touch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"in which children DON'T play" is your "rule-of-thumb" addition - Could you point at industry documents that prove otherwise?

Were it given consideration like you say, it more probably would be down to reasons like the likelyhood of kids breaking site equipment and harming themselves. Many masts are errected on hills to supply good coverage of surrounding areas.

You wish... We have science on our side, you have ignorance on yours...

Reply to
Adrian C

Well that tautology wasn't on the syllabus at any of the RAF Radio Engineering courses I attended! Can you provide a cite (perhaps Scroggie) for that three-word monstrosity? IIRC antenna is the USA term based on the antennae of insects (similarly the usage of Ground versus Earth). Aerials were always the things on the end of transmission lines (co-ax and waveguides are in there too) whereby the rf was launched into the ether. {Adherents of the theory of reciprocity will understand the usage covers Reception too)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Aren't they also going to start charging the residents of some streets for their public phone boxes?

Reply to
Neil Shaw

I don't recall seeing it being asked on the form my solicitor gave to the vendor of the house I bought in August being asked about mobile phone masts. However, mobile phone masts are something that came in the very comprehensive environmental (I think) searches document that came as part of the standard searches the solicitor should be doing.

Reply to
Neil Shaw

It's about 35W erp per sector. At least, that's the maximum, IIRC. Some special cells run at higher ERPs and most run lower.

ttfn

JasonG

Reply to
JasonG

Oh but it _is_ radiation. It's just non-ionising radiation...a distinction that most media reports seem to conveniently miss out.

JasonG

Reply to
JasonG

??

How about "I've got the transmitter pressed against the side of my head"??

I didn't say it was. The point is that the level of radiation _at its strongest point_ will be at the transmitter, ie about 1cm from the skull. Yes, the rest of the head will also be subjected to lower levels, but that's actually making my point stronger, not yours.

It's not flawed. The "amount" of radiation which will affect a particular part of the body is based on the amount of radiation per surface area. You can't possibly argue that putting a small amount of radiation all over your head is the same as putting the same amount concentrated in a small area: imagine something outputting the equivalent amount of heat through a pin prick or a balaclava: which do you think will cause a burn?

Not a lot? The difference between needing a megawatt transmitter and a 10 kW? I'd say that was a lot.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Winkless

Yes, it was the comment that the advice that was given was by "incompetent others" that is the rub, ask somebody to guarantee that there will never be problems and then having to justify that decision to your shareholders is a good way to focus your thought process. Its easy to bandy ideas and opinions around on ng's and down the pub but having to put your money where your mouth is, that's another matter.

Reply to
David

I think you would still be liable though for allowing the siting of the later proven "dangerous" eqpt

Reply to
David

Neil Shaw wrote: [...]

They already do - 30p at a time...

Reply to
Peter Corlett

In article , David McNeish writes

That's where the risk management would come in and say again "not worth the money"

Reply to
David

In article , Rob Morley writes

In these days of an increasingly litigious society, no one is save... and big companies would never conceal a problem would they??

Reply to
David

I'm not talking about to use the thing. I mean they want to charge the residents for the maintainence of the box regardless of whether they use it or not.

Reply to
Neil Shaw

big snip

snip

Definitive answer; No! A Consultant , Senior Registrar, Registrar, House Officer, (Heamatolgists) plus the GP all say ;- dunno!

Now, I'm a 'victim' not a subject-matter-expert; but AIUI the body contains enzymes that metabolises 'stuff' ingested and syntheises the vitamin B12 - if the diet is correct. B12 is metabolised in quantity . By some process, the B12, is utilised in the maintenance of haemoglobin stasis by the bone marrow. The blood you've got sloshing through your system contains heamoglobin with a life span of forty-odd days; so approximately two-and-half percent gets renewed each day. The top-up process require one milligramme of B12 per day. BTW I've elided the leukocytes and other gubbins that compose the complex liquid ;- 'blood'.

The liver is a repository of the vitamin and stores grammes of the stuff - sufficient for a four -five year buffer.

At some point - some where some when; I stopped metabolising those portions of my diet that ends up as stored B12.

For years I made up the heamoglobin required until it the buffer was depleted ... at that time I commenced the forty-odd day slide towards death. [pernicous] What was sloshing through my system had more of the properties of hydraulic fluid than blood. It provided me with the ability to stand up and move about- somewhat like a JCB's backhoe moving about

- but it wasn't life as we know it, Jim.

_Luckily_ , I collapsed and someone made the 999 call. The 'mechanical system' of my body was asymptomatic, the three-lead> eleven-lead> seventeen-lead ECG didn't reveal any problem, I passed the tests for strokes, chest X-rays, Liver scans et.al until the process of eliminations got me the attention of the Heamotology team - who very rapidly diagnosed and treated my condition.

Interestingly, as they stuffed me full of whole blood, antibiotics, fluids and B12 they were asking me about my ethnic background;- apparently it effects Nordic types, presents about age sixty, hair colour, even eye colour - my brown eyes were atypical ... ! A top-blood-doctor came and demanded ' What do you eat?" I thought I was going to get b*ll*^W chastised for not eating enough greens but stammered out 'Beef /roast/sliced/steaks/burger ..." "Oh! He said, "' Thought you might be a vegeterian ... they get it a lot ... but, can't be that!" and drew more blood to carry out further tests .:- (

You asked, "any idea what caused it?" Travelling a lot in B747s at a cabin altitude of 8,000 ft. .. 25 hour trips to Australia .. infections (Dehli-belly, Montezuma's Revenge ... etc.) that I'd shrugged off A youth exposed to high-energy Radar 'heads' - making obeissances to the Mekon (for anybody else with Air Force experience in the sixties) ... too many stubbies while someone through another prawn on the barbee ... ... vegimite(?) ... .The answer is - I can't begin to second guess when or why "what" happened.

Now, with 20-20 hindsight, I can go back years and say;- 'Ah! That's why/maybe I felt that way: then!"

Before this incident I hadn't visited a GP for _thirty_ years!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Yes but the term tends to bring out the scaremongers.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones