OT Nuclear waste.

Coming to a place near you?

It was bound to happen. Will it have a greater effct on houses prices than a wind turbine? I hope they put it under TurNiPs house.

Pigeons coming home to roost. Note the projected costs too. Anyone taking any bets they won't triple/quadruple/etc. ?

Reply to
harryagain

Bit more on the topic here.

harryagain

Probably nearer me than you. Drigg/Sellafield is 55 miles to the SW ie we are 55 miles down wind. Am I bovvered? Nope.

About frigging time!

" ... there have been at least four attempts to find the right site, all of them shelved after strong protest."

So the delays and rising costs are down to the greens.

" Initially, a coalition of Cumbria county council and Copeland and Allerdale borough councils put their names forward, but the policy stalled in 2013 when the county council pulled out."

Much to annoyance of Copland and Allerdale. The Drigg Low Level Waste Repository is already there, they wanted the site.

Only to that extent if the greens keep objecting adding delays and costly enquiries.

It also opens the way to doing things the right way round. Find suitable geology and build it rather than ask for places to come forward and hope they have suitable geology.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed. They tried the voluntary route and it didn't work because of people, like you, who opposed it for no good reason.

Reply to
Nightjar

Probably in the sort term, as ignorant people tend to panic over nothing. Then people will realise that there's no problem, and everything will settle down again.

I don't imagine he'd be bothered.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I agree.

Yes I would be happy to have one here - as long as they camouflaged it - but they tend to be quite good at hiding ugly things when they want to.

We are almost a nuclear community - people here work at Dungeness power station, although it's a bit of a drive away.

I'd rather more effort was put into finding the right site in terms of geography and geology than wasting any more time fighting NIMBYism.

They are dualling a section of the A21 not that far away and there are still people saying "poor old nice houses being pulled down[1]" and "poor forest[2]".

That bit of the road has been tailing back for years and it ain't getting better.

[1] Yes, there are a few nice houses and an oast that have been subject to compulsory purchase. But very few - they have managed to weave a route with as little disruption as it's reasonably possible to do. And the really good old houses are being dismantled rather than demolished and will be re-erected somewhere else (this was part of the planning deal). [2] Yes they cut down a lot of trees. The log pile was something like as wide as a tree is tall, as long as a football pitch and as high as a house. However they have merely shaved the edge off some woodlands - we're really not short of trees here.

To be fair most people are grateful they are getting on with it - but if the NIMBYs had a veto we would not get anything done.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And what happened to all that timber? With it all mixed like that finding the good hardwood trees for cabinet making or WHY would be none trivial compared to walking the woods before felling and marking the "valuable" ones to be put on one side.

Was it haulled away to be chipped and burnt in Drax? Chipped and sold as mulch, f'ing big bonfire in a field?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the sodding Woodland Trust stuck its nose in too as I ranted the other day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I doubt the last option. It was already piled in a field - they could have burnt it there.

I honestly do not know what the tree species are there, but they're not totally stupid (there's a lot of care an insight being applied to this job) If they thought they could sell good wood, I'm sure they did. Even if they didn't, I suspect if there were some hardwoods there, an enterprising contractor might have a couple of trunks fall off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it's so safe, they can bury it in Surrey.

Or, better still, Scotland.

Reply to
harryagain

And I suppose you are an expert?

Tell us all about your qualifaications to comment.

Reply to
harryagain

The cost and time-scale, as stated there, does surprise me. After all, it's only basically tunneling/mining which, although not necessarily cheap, is surely not that expensive or slow. Ever the sceptic, and bearing in mind it's a newspaper reporter quoting a politician (neither being the most reliable of sources), is there a more authentic source for those figures?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The geology is part of what makes it safe and Surrey doesn't have the right geology.

At least one of the proposed sites is in Scotland.

Reply to
Nightjar

Granite rock would seem good. After all its already more radioactive than most low level waste, and is on for 'intermediate waste' levels.

Actually, theming it D-I-Y, vitrified waste is probably about the same level of radioactivity as granite, and could make excellent worktops...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 09/04/2015 09:15, The Natural Philosopher wrote: ...

If we used high level waste, they could glow in the dark :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

What a talking point...

also a good way to get rid of unwanted callers....

Reply to
Tim Watts

How do you know?

Reply to
harryagain

Pretty!!!

Reply to
harryagain

How long do you suppose any "administration" would last? None of our civilisations has lasted more than a couple of thousand years at most. Some of this stuff will still be dangerous in a million years. How long d you suppose glass lasts?

We might be able to build something that lasts five thousand years, maybe ten. What happens after that? You haven't even thought about the problem.

Reply to
harryagain

Nobody knows what happens to glass in even ten thousand years.

Reply to
harryagain