OT Not DIY Solar Panels

Ummm, no... o 8% yield is effectively coming out of your capital o You do not get your capital back in the future o There are no guarantees about future FiT

Contrast with UK Gilts or US Treasuries. Ok, you MIGHT not get your capital back in the future either but it is at least possible if not probable :-)

This is a welfare program for Sharp's Welsh factories? Anymore stakeholders or rather spongeholder energy technologies out there who want the economies of scale to come out of taxpayer welfare programs (and snaking line of brown overalls as ministry of silly walks).

If the govmint wants to do something put ASHP under Permitted Development with a reasonable noise standard (they still haven't defined the damn thing).

Reply to
js.b1

Poor terminology acknowledged.

I disagree, but do not plan on moving for 10+ years so can't test it for a while

Only 25 years if the system keeps working.

Look at the "table of tarriffs (sic) on the bottom of this page

Vortex5

So what's the betting that this sort of scheme will be scrapped in a few years time once the powers that be work out that there is massive fraud going on with people selling neighbours off grid power back to them via the special meter!

Indeed - cost effective ones also have a fighting chance of being environmentally effective in the long term.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a suspicion this is merely one of many forthcoming "how to manufacture domestic jobs, manufacture statistics and hide statistics". All lined up for the "N% must be spent on green if an extension built etc". All part of the creation of a manufactured economy rather than a manufacturing economy, which USSR found failed miserably.

Why PV are not economic...

- 2kW of PV's cost =A35000 re Ebay.

- Annual generation say 1500kWhr, saving =A3150/yr @ 10p/kWhr.

- Payback of =A33750 over 25yrs for =A35000 outlay.

I'd rather a gov't negotiate a Bulk Buy of 2kW PV for =A32500 and then charge =A32600 for people. Instead we have a nonsense "sell back to the grid at 20x cost of generation" which is a blatant "Welfare for Business" rather than driving down the cost of PV through volume, quite shocking. Sharp no doubt whinged loud enough.

Reply to
js.b1

Do you seriously expect all future governments for the next 25 years to stick by a scheme set up by this present shower?

Your faith is touching.

Look up 'War Bonds' sometime to see how honourable a government can be.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I tried briefly, got nowhere. Care to expand?

Reply to
Clive George

I am not a tree hugger, I do not have a beard and for the record I have zero faith in the current shower, who bleed an unbelievable amount of taxation from me and my business every year along with having implemented numerous so-called initiatives that make no sense whatsoever.

As far as I am concerned any opportunity to get a bit of cashback is welcome. Let's have a discussion in 2020 about whether the investment was worth it....or indeed worthy of the term "investment" at all. I plan on still being here.

Reply to
Vortex5

"The rate will be indexed to the retail price index for the life of the tariff"

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can power electric fires in your back garden with it for all they care, they'll still pay you 41p/unit, they will pay an *extra* 3p/unit if you do actually export it to the grid!

Reply to
Andy Burns

From what I read you don't qualify for FiT if you had a grant for installation.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry, typo - in WW2 it was called War Loan in the UK.

explains how other countries did it.

In the UK the stock was undated (i.e. had no fixed date when it would be repaid) but was sold on the understanding that after the war the people who loaned the government their money would get it back.

However, this turned out to be inconvenient and War Loan is still being traded today, but at a substantial discount from the original purchase price.

See

for some commentary.

So people (such as my parents) who loaned their savings to the government in good faith got cheated after the war and lost a significant amount of money.

Moral - don't trust any government when it makes long term promises.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

No they are entirely separate. Up to £2k5 Low Carbon Buildings grants were available until suddenly "pulled" (for pv) last week. No surprise. It's no longer possible to get the grant for pv

FiT applies to all qualifying installations since July 15 last year.

Vortex5

**** Gah! WW1! The Independant article does explain quite well what happened to the value of the money lent to the government. ****

David WE Roberts

Indeed, well said that man. Part of what makes me highly suspicious that such a scheme will last long enough for the participants to ever recoup their "investment".

Reply to
John Rumm

Until they have suitable meters, which many suppliers are not yet willing to fit, the amount actually exported will simply be estimated. Some expect this to be set at 50%, which is probably high for most installations.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Who can blame them? they're already being stung for the 41p * "n" units, why pay for an extra meter when they can pay 3p * "n/2" instead? Even with the optimistic n=1000 a few people have quoted, then it's £15/year to not fit the meter v.s £100's to fit one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Explain please! How do you expect to get ALL your capital back?

Even less chance of a return of your capital.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

#Explain please! How do you expect to get ALL your capital back?

#Even less chance of a return of your capital.

Just a thought (haven't time to check just now) but does the agreement transfer with the house when it is sold?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Did a lot better than the inhabitants of Tyneham.

What's "long term" got to do with it?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And, ISTM, you are complaining not that politicians are corrupt, but that they are not corrupt *IN YOUR FAVOUR*'....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher