OT: Nokia C3 & WLAN

Anyone here played with WLAN on a phone?

It finds my home wireless router just fine and then connects to it no problem at all, but if I then try to use the phone's internet it says I have to sign up to a packet service or summat. I think it's trying to use GPRS instead of the WLAN, even though I've had a good old search around and set it up as instructed.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If you can connect via your router, forget the other options. Excruciatingly slow - except just for receiving email, so long as you don't click on any links in it -, and even on 'unlimited' services like virgin, you soon find them telling you you have 'used up your unlimited quota'. In the house, I turn off the GPRS on my Blackberry, as I mostly use it for email rather than phone calls. When the GPRS is on it tends to send/receive via that instead of the wifi though GPRS is slower and wastes your quota.

Spamlet

I've no experience with a C3 but my Nokia N79 connects to the wifi at home and does 3G/GPRS when out of range.

Reply to
nicknoxx

On my Nokia phones you have to change the web browser 'General', 'Access point' settings to 'Always Ask', so that the phone asks which access point to use each time the browser is opened. Some SIM cards love to change this setting to the name of Access Point that their network uses.

The Nokia email has a similar setting, as do other applications such as Google Maps etc.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I just leave my XDA zest on the phone network, it works fine with wifi but it uses more power and the speed difference doesn't make a difference to browsing and email. It does my own pop server, gmail, hotmail and 1and1 without any problems.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks. I have read this before but the phone never asks, even though it's set to "always ask"; it appears to just be trying to use GPRS. Strangely, when I tell it to look for WLANs it will connect to BTopenzone and shows BT's web page so I'm wondering if it's something to do with my wireless router's security setting (WPA-PSK) as the BT one is unsecured. When it has successfully connected to my home wireless, which it does quickly and without fuss, it shows nothing at all, just that it's connected.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I have no experience with Nokia WLAN, but for GPRS I'd delete all the access points (APNs) on the phone that you don't use (eg those in the WAP and MMS categories, keeping one in Internet). Otherwise it can get itself confused trying to give you a long list of networks you don't care about.

Sadly every time you switch SIM card it'll guess (often wrongly) a new set of APNs, so you might have to delete them each time.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I've sorted it! What it wanted was another access point setting up in one particular menu. Now it will ask which I want to use rather than just try to use the default one and assume no other access points exist in the world. Thanks Nokia!

Anyway, it works now so you were pretty much correct in that it was getting confused with the access points - it just didn't realise that more than one existed.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot