OT: 'Nobby's Nuts'

Whilst on the subject of corkscrews, I find myself digging into a pack of what used to be called Shanghai nuts but are now nearly always 'Nobby's', and I have to ask: how do they get the coating to form a complete crispy shell round the nut: especially as there is often an air space between coating and nut? (I've tried coating nuts before: can't even get salt to stay on them!)

Spamlet

By Occam's razor, I would think that the first layer of coating on the peanut is a release agent and the nut subsequently shrinks as it dries out. Thus, the nut shrinks and separates from the shell without cracking the shell.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Yes but how do they get the even coating all over in the first place? Maybe they are fired through a curtain of coating straight into an oven perhaps: or in a heated peanut version of a shot tower. Also these nuts do not have the red skins on so they would tend to fall in half too. Clever those nutters!

Cheers,

Spamlet