[OT] No more curtilage rubbish collections in Rossendale, Lancs

Seems a disturbing turn for the worse:

Tim Watts

I can see this backfiring as people start burning all that plastic packaging and creating carcinogenic fumes, and leaving at the collection points all sorts of stuff like rubble, old tellies, and fridges, that they would previously have to have driven to the tip with or paid the Council to take away. OTOH, if they have shelters for the big/electronic stuff, as IU happens in some countries, where you can drop things off and also take what other people left, there might be a nice source of repairable gear for DIYers.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

I expect my (suitably anonymised) rubbish would end up in the front garden of whichever councillors voted for this.

After all, if the feckers don't collect your rubbish, what are they *for*?

Reply to
Huge

I think we can probably take that for granted.

Yep. In the "old days" we used to have a weekly bonfire, but much more paper and very little plastics then.

Yep. seen this happen already with "community bins" at an estate of flats.

Prior to then, the council would lay on twice yearly skips around the borough for exactly this - and it worked. soon as that stopped, the communal dumpsters (which you could already hide a telly in no probs) also accrewed sofas, chairs and all manner of crap. I'm not condoning that behaviour - but is is a simple observation that if the council provides easy facilities for disposal, things are clean and when they don't, you get shit everywhere.

Yes indeed...

I honestly dispare of this country... Nothing is ever learnt from history.

Now - if the council is short of £92,000 I wonder if they could just fire an executive or two, or cut back on other facilities?

Reply to
Tim Watts

On an aside, I just noticed this appear on twitter:

"[OT] No more curtilage rubbish collections in Rossendale, Lancs: Seems a disturbing turn for the worse: http:... http://t.co/ZLhSqI7"some enterprising person at

seens to be rewteeting a lot of what's posted here (maybe all?)...

Reply to
Tim Watts

My immediate thought was that combined address collections seem to work in Edinburgh, then I saw that this is for rural people. It's a shame you can't charge the council for your wasted time and effort when they come up with a wizard wheeze to save their (A.K.A your....) money.

Reply to
John Williamson

They are fully engaged employing consultants to make sure that you have your share of gyspies, wind turbines and social housing for labour voters and junkies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. when it cant educate people to spell 'despair' correctly....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Says the guru of typing...

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

having worked in Rossendale, I can confirm that the photo in that report could easily have been taken any time in the last 20 years. In fact I've worked in several towns where some of the residents just live that way.

Flat in Lancs with alternative week collections.

House in France. We take the refuse to the 'poubelle' half a km. away. One rubbish collection each Wednesday and a recycling collection each Thursday

Bungalow in Spain, 'basura' is a few hundred m. away and there are usually 5 collections each week

Rates in Lancs 'used' to be (but I haven't checked the last couple of years) about the same as the other two combined.

John

Reply to
JTM

^ ^ W '

You're welcome.

Reply to
Huge

It was a rhetorical question.

Reply to
Huge

Full stop, capital letter. Three dots makes an ellipsis.

Skitt is alive and well and lurking in this newsgroup.

He *is* a lawyer.

Reply to
Graham.

You can also see it backfiring the first time they get a call from a disabled non driver who lives in a rural location. Sorry, can't wheel the bin a mile down the road or drive it... Now what?

Reply to
John Rumm

Well I though it was reasonably witty, myself.

Personally I never agreed with Pickles promising to bring back weekly, which I found to be a nonsense. So I'm glad he's dumped that. Alternate collections make much better sense. Two of us here have trouble filling up the black bin over two weeks so sometimes we don't bother to put it out and it goes a month between collections. Myself I don't see why a family of four can't manage to wait two weeks to have the black bin collected.

A lot of stuff is recyclable these days and we usually have a couple of sacks of that again over two weeks.

So for any household that can store two normal sized wheelies ISTM that alternate collections are a no-brainer. Exceptions to that include where in some city areas people's front doors open straight onto the pavement or they are elderly or have limited space. There should be generous provision for weekly collections in such circs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We are a family of four and also don't fill a blue bag in a week. Two weeks is the norm. We cook real food, recycle and compost. I'd say

99% of our land fill bag is plastic wrapping films.

How much rubbish you send off to landfill is affected by your "life style". If a family is living on cook chill ready meals and doesn't seperate stuff for recycling there will be huge amount of packaging going into that land fill bag, together with any leftover food. It's the unwashed packaging and left over food that causes the problem with fortnightly collections.

As for the Telegraph story, it doesn't say if these people are down their own private road or they are on the public highway. Narrow and pot holed doesn't sound like the public highway to me... Many places around here leave their rubbish at the junction between the public highway and their track. I suspect that some are down private roads and the council is simply no longer leaving the public highway to collect rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think you should post the article as the link fails miserably. Actually, if its as simple as your headline suggests, its going to be impossible for everyone and its probably illegal on a health issue. Here unfortunately when things are collected,the various bins boxes bags and other containers are left strewn on the footway, road and on gardens and its very surprising nobody has been injured, yet!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Since the link won't let me in, can someone tell me what the effect will be for those of us with disabilities who live alone?

One assumes some special collection system would be in place or the road here would soon be full to blocking, i'd make sure that occurred!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I agry, wiv yo towtallee.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and that really really is important is it? I'd have thought the actual story was in fact just so stupid in itself as to leave one speechless, never mind twitterless. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff