OT: nixie tubes

Chap is annoyed that big nixie tubes are no longer available, so decides to start making them himself ...

I like the lab equipment by IKEA, you can see why the first run of finished six digit clocks are $1700 each.

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Wow. Just wow.

Thanks for posting that. 40 minutes well spent.

Yep.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Go to one of these - they have 1000's.

Simon Mason

of smaller ones ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

on 03/10/2016, Andy Burns supposed :

Reply to
Steve

Romania is even better.

Reply to
Simon Mason

My brother-in-law worked in Bucharest for a couple of years and siad it was a bit dodgy so we've never been brave enough so far. May well give it a try sometime though.

Reply to
Steve

Hands up who remembers the precursor to Nixies which was just a ring of electrodes around the tube axis, which gave a dial type indication when viewed end-on. What *were* they called?

Reply to
newshound

Reply to
T i m

En el artículo , newshound escribió:

Magic eyes, EM84 valve.

Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

Ah, no, just read your post more carefully. Not magic eyes. The ones you're thinking of are Dekatrons.

Mike Tomlinson

Make some 6" ones using plastic fibre or some of that electroluminescent plastic.

Should look a nixie if you get the flicker right.

Reply to
dennis

No, that's different. The thing I mean had ten pins equi-spaced, the neon glow went clockwise from pin to pin as it counted, and you read the pin number from a scale on the front panel. First saw one in the early

60's, a lad from my school made a "reaction timer" using them.

There's a nice story from Los Alamos, I think it's in the Richard Rhodes book, from someone playing with a near-critical mass. These tubes were showing the neutron count rate. When he got too close to the assembly, scattered/moderated neutrons from his body took the mass even nearer to critical, and he noticed the counters going into a blur, at which point he backed off (and probably saved his life).

Reply to
newshound

YES! That's the one. Thanks!

Reply to
newshound

Before my time of course.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I remember them, but not the name.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah. I had forgotten them. I was thinking of a partial circle of red dots, one being lit at a time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

See also

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Been there three times, loved the place apart from the traffic. The rural parts are beautiful and it is like going back in time 100 years with the horse and carts.

Albania is a bit dodgy with fake BPs and McDs plus the 1000s of stolen Mercs.

Reply to
Simon Mason

decatrons

In the days when 'trons' were the cool think to invent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher