OT news item

Does bleeding out correctly require the heart to be still beating, as in a still-live animal, or can a just-killed chicken be hung up and bled out satisfactorily? And a stunned but still alive chicken will surely bleed out, as mentioned earlier.

Reply to
Davey

On Saturday 16 March 2013 12:37 Davey wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Dunno for sure but I suspect it helps to purge the majority of liquid.

If left too long there might be a risk of clotting - but bolting the animal and hanging up to bleed is at no risk of that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Saturday 16 March 2013 12:37 Davey wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In short "Waitrose lamb is from electrically stunned animals and all other meat and poultry is non-halal[1]"

[1] So presumably according to the law of the land, without the exceptions for god botherers...

I buy mostly from Waitrose, so I feel a bit happier.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A beating heart is _not_ required for an adequate bleed-out.

Think sealed plumbing system where output relies on input (plus a little elastic stretching/contraction of big vessels (pipes)) once you break the input seal (open a vein) there is no (or little) output after the first couple of contractions of the heart, so no effective difference between beating / non-beating heart. The latter is _much_ more humane.

Avpx (who works in that area)

Reply to
The Nomad

Why not?

Reply to
ARW

All those replies indicate that the requirements of halal have no basis in fact except the inexplicable desire to have a conscious animal being bled to death, and the RSPCA appears to have intention of doing anything about it, or even trying to. Great.

Reply to
Davey

Don't Panic - It's Mostly Harmless:-)

Reply to
ARW

it's probably based on the H&S requirements in a sub-tropical country when there is no refrigeration. Many of these religious "musts" are based on what was a sensible procedure a couple of thousnad years ago.

Reply to
charles

Dunno. Just didn't.

Reply to
Huge

No. Which bit are you struggling with?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The same bit as almost everybody else who has contributed to this thread.

Reply to
Davey