OT news item

It is reported that pork has been found in halal chicken sausages served to children at a Church of England primary school in London. Does anybody else find it hard to correlate "Church of England school" and "halal meat"?

Reply to
Davey

Many commercial suppliers now only supply halal, since it's much simpler than providing separate supplies.

I have another simple solution; halal (and kosher) should be banned on the grounds they are cruel.

Reply to
Huge

And porage on the grounds it is gruel?

Reply to
polygonum

Absolutely agreed. Where is the RSPCA on this?

Reply to
Davey

Running scared from Muslims, mainly. While pretending that "over 90% of animals killed in this way are stunned first".

Halal slaughter is explicitly exempt from the "Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995" which requires that all animals be stunned before slaughter. So we'll just have to assume that the Religion Of Peace, while not legally required to, stuns animals out of pure kindness. Even though it's widely believed (among religious crackpots) that any sort of stunning renders the animal (brain) dead, which in turn makes the animal inedible because it has to be alive when they cut its throat. But no doubt the 0.001% of Halal slaughterhouses inspected by the RSPCA did indeed stun the animals before or after having their necks sliced open during the RSPCA's visit.

Ludicrous religious beliefs always take priority over sensible and compassionate animal welfare concerns:

Mentalguy2k8

France, but no different to the cnuts that do it in the UK.

It's about time that video was placed on the National Curriculum.

Reply to
The Other Mike

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

[snippage]

Distressing video;

Huge

There is only one answer

ARW

Never had you marked down as a HHGttG fan.

Reply to
Huge

AIUI the way they kill chickens nowadays is to all intents and purposes Halal anyway. - Hung upside down in a darkened tunnel where whirling blades sever the neck (sometimes).

I wouldn't have thought you'd have been too troubled by an antediluvian diety botherer mumbling over the proceadure

DerekG

Reply to
DerekG

That made me go back and look. I misread that url as

And decided I didn't want to look!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The real issue is the refusal of government to prevent the unlawful entry of religously slaughtered meat into the general food chain. See

rspca/

Reply to
Fenris

I'm not - it's the lack of stunning that I object to.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for that ref. It echoes my question about the RSPCA.

Coincidentally, there was an item in our local paper this week about:

which was accused of having left some brain stem fragments in some meat that it had processed. I had no idea this place existed. Note: "DEFRA in June 2012, audited the site to appraise the Animal Welfare Standards & the Ritual Slaughter process and gave the site full DEFRA approval."

So much for DEFRA, then.

Reply to
Davey

On Friday 15 March 2013 22:53 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I watched the video on halal slaughter and it made me feel sick, and I've seen a few gross things in my time... I was actually surprised that the cow was still standing and moving with (as far as I could tell) most of its brain's blood supply severed. I wonder if there's a tertiary set of vessels round the back of the neck like humans have?

As far as I'm concerned, the religions (islam and judaeism in this case) should be told to piss off and abide by the law of the land. If "they" don;t like it, "they" can always become vegetarian.

I can see the logic behind bleeeding out an animal, in hot places with no refrigeration.

I can see no reason why the animal cannot be brain-killed first; the heart will keep pumping by itself for a fair while afterwards.

So what I see is a sop to the jews, and running scared from the bearded brethren.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd have thought they have to take children from other religeons like most do, though maybe the parents want to have an offspring that at least understands other belief systems.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

TBH, I'm not sure I can.

Having spent some time in an abbatoir, I know this to be the case; they used to stun the animal by firing a captive bolt into its skull, then destroy the brain by agitating a length of wire through the hole, then hang the animal up by its back legs and cut its throat. It still bled out, despite being anencephalic by this time.

Reply to
Huge

On Saturday 16 March 2013 10:05 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The blood is likely to provide a better breeding ground for bacteria before the othe rparts - at least that's what I've been told. As blood is basically a nutrient medium, it seems plausible.

Never stopped me eating black pudding or hong-dofu ("red" tofu), but then I wasn't doing either in a hot place with no fridges ;-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

If a chicken isn't bled out correctly blood clots will lie in the carcase especially around bones. Makes it unpleasant to look at and eat IMHO

Reply to
fred