OT - news.individual.net (Berlin) problems

Any good alternatives for Messenger? A while ago I tried several things

- all were yucky. Partner uses Adium on her Mac - much nicer although it connects to MSN...

Actually - the optimum would be something that knows whether it needs to go outside the building or not! We have neat local message software - but that is PC-only so has fallen into disuse. 'Twould be so nice to use one application inside or out (automatically detecting which it needed to do), on Mac or PC. The *only* fancy feature we want is to be able to send messages when the other is not connected - and pick them up when next both are connected.

Reply to
Rod

That's because they have been replaced with windows live mail. Try downloading it and use that.

dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying something like:

I used Trillium, which gives a front panel for several messaging services, so you can set any of them up.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Exactly the same problem for me with Pipex just under two years ago - NIN was taking 15-20 mins to download headers for my subscribed groups, and a single message could take 5 mins to download. They ignored the support request, and I ditched them less than two months later.

If you have Sky, and are on an LLU'd exchange* (samknows.com can tell you) - don't walk away from Tiscali, RUN LIKE FSCK !

  • non-LLU'd exchanges use a "bought in" service which isn't that good apparently.
Reply to
Colin Wilson

Skype does that for free.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Actually, once the traffic shaping cuts in, you can't access any news server at all. A "telnet news.individual.net 119" hangs indefinitely.

Unfortunately, my Tiscali connection is provided by work. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to have the traffic shaping removed for 2 years now.

Reply to
Huge

Interesting. Only experienced it here a few weeks back. And I'm not one who only uses it at fixed times of the day or week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never thought of Skype, will look.

Can't remember why Trillium wasn't acceptable when I last looked - but will look again, thanks, GC.

Reply to
Rod

In article , Huge writes

Interesting. I use Tiscali and motzarella.org and have not had any problems. Very, very occasionally (once every *mumble* weeks) the connection to the server will appear to hang mid-session, but the same setup (client and server) also hangs very occasionally at work, so I don't think it's Tiscali. The connection is 24/7 with news being fetched every 10 minutes.

P2P is a different story. I used to have no problems using it to collect TV programmes I'd missed, but in the last 2 weeks or so I've noticed it doesn't work in the evenings (can't find any servers to connect to.) Try again after 8-ish in the morning and it's ok.

I'll jump when my contract's up, especially as Tiscali has just been sold to the Evil Empire (aka Murdoch).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , dennis@home writes

And that's gonna be an improvement?

BTW: go to MSN UK homepage and try and find an update for Messenger. You don't get directed to Live!, just go round and round in circles on some silly charity thing called I'm.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson