OT New tax coming.

Still poorly paid.

Sounds like sour grapes...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is now. He was poorly paid throughout most of his working life. And teachers' pensions will be very different in the future anyway.

BTW, just how many teachers do you think become head teachers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Roland Perry wrote: [[snip]

Teachers have been reasonably well paid for as long as I can recall. They have also been convinced that they are underpaid for the same length of time. I recall a friend who became a teacher complaining about his "miserable" Starting salary of £3300. I found it hard to be sympathetic because as a research scientist after three years of work I was getting £2600. Which at the time was close to the average wage.

It looks like the wage differential is about the same today.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The big difference is expectation of a better salary. Plenty will put up with a low starting wage with the near certain knowledge things will improve drastically with time. Many teachers neither want or seek promotion. They wish to continue teaching - not to become an administrator. They do of course get length of service increments, but nothing like the sort many would expect.

But that was some time ago - present teachers pay is rather better compared to the average.

I think you'll find not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So long as some pension is left for them as paid in.

Reply to
harry

True. NHS staff were /are in the same boat.

Reply to
harry

In the past they were poorly paid. They did their jobs because they believed is was worthwhile. No longer the case these days.

Reply to
harry

In message , at 15:24:31 on Tue, 13 Nov

2012, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

My impression is that teachers are paid worse now (relatively) than a generation ago, when it was a highly prestigious occupation.

Does that affect your brother?

If you count "Head of Year"/"Head of Science"/"Head of 6th Form", then a lot will one day get such an appointment.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I'd second that, as they do have to hand it to someone, as I commonley take in drugs for the old lady next door as she can't hear the door bell. If they don't get an answer they drive off.

Not sure how that works perhaps they use an alternative service or recorded delivery.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , at

08:28:44 on Tue, 13 Nov 2012, harry remarked:

I share your concern that one day the University lecturers might find that their pension has become less than liquid, and rather than their monthly £1000 they'll get a token saying "you now own 1% of the third shopping unit on the left, that's been unlettable the last ten years".

But the commercial decisions about where to invest money is a matter for the funds, and for their members to scrutinise.

Reply to
Roland Perry

There is nothing wrong with pension funds making profitable investments. That, after all, is what they are supposed to do. I would expect those managing pension funds to recognise a profitable and secure investment without the government's assistance. If the investment is only made because of a nudge from the government, is it really a good investment?

The USS is short of money, I am not expecting much from my ten years contribution.

Reply to
djc

I would say too many. Why do they have to be teachers to manage a school in the first place?

Reply to
dennis

In message , at

19:22:41 on Tue, 13 Nov 2012, "dennis@home" remarked:

Because teachers claim that only teachers can understand the challenges involved. Although having "lay" accountants running the business side seems to work quite well.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Straw, camel's back.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

All these deliver even if you live in the arse end of nowhere :)

The Other Mike

Firstly it is a city and secondly they have already demolished a huge bit of it in the city centre.

Reply to
The Other Mike

My brother is retired, so I'm talking more about his pay rates during most of his working life.

It doesn't. But you gave today's pay figures. They have to be correlated to future pesions when calculating the overall package.

But they don't get the 100 plus grand you mentioned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They don't - and no longer actually are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Roland Perry scribeth thus

As long as you don't top yourself with the stresses involved;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

That was on the cards, but I thought 'medical supplies', while being accurate enough, was also vague enough.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon