OT New tax coming.

not legally they couldn't. you can't just put drugs through letter boxes.

Reply to
dennis

Well please go and report Boots to your nearest copper:

"Online prescriptions: NHS or private prescriptions

Because we know it's not always easy or convenient to come into a pharmacy to get your medicine, the Boots online prescription service lets you order a one-off prescription online.

After you've ordered, simply post us your NHS or private prescription and we will then send your medicine to any UK address or post office, usually within two days of receiving your prescription."

are many, many others as well.

(Some controlled drugs may be subject to additional limitations which preclude this form of service. I CBA to check it out.)

Reply to
polygonum

?

When I was a civil servant (ie I worked in the dole office because there was nothing else much going on in 1991) the pension contribution was something like 0% with a 1% surcharge to cover spouse (even if you didn't have one - no I never understood this fine point).

Anyway, the words "civil service pension" could get a pensions salesman off your doorstep faster than shit off a shovel.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It doesn't say they will post it through your letter box.

If they do and the kids or pets get killed they will soon stop as its hard to run a pharmacy from prison.

I wouldn't be surprised if the post office forbid sending any dangerous (ie. all medicens) stuff through the post.

Reply to
dennis

Not all medicines (sic) are dangerous, den. And, using the appropriate packaging, you can legally send shit through the post.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I remember finding many years ago that the lights on the Westway were phased for 50. When it was a 40 limit... it was damn annoying always just missing the green so in the end I gave up.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

When travelling at speed, the recommended distance between cars being far longer than a car makes the overall area of road used by a small car and a large one near enough the same.

So having different rates of tax through differing fuel consumption is even more unfair?

Reply to
Fredxx

This turns out not to be the case.

I have a personal pension fund, and GB made a small change to the tune of £5billion a year to such schemes.

There's no _state_ pension fund, but that's different.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Absolute bollocks. We regularly get prescription-only medicines delivered and the ONLY reason that the postie might need to knock is that the package is too large to get through our letterbox. Yes - it does declare in plain English exactly what the contents are - as they are delivered from abroad and so have customs declarations.

The UK-based pharmacies might use some form of tracked/signed-for delivery.

Do please bear in mind that a single bar of dark chocolate could kill a dog. And yet there must be hundreds of companies who will happily post such a bar and that will very likely get put through your letter-box.

Reply to
polygonum

Tim Streater :

Those of us of a certain age do exactly that every couple of years.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I wonder how many of those companies took a "pensions holiday" in the boom years by not paying their contributions into the scheme. And the scheme let them because of the boom years and not needing the money to fund the foreseeable pension commitments based on the growth in the boom years. Now the bubble has burst and the schemes need the money they should have had 10 years ago...

Donno what the rules are now for wage slaves but you didn't have to join the company's scheme you could make your own arrangements. Of course companies didn't like it as it would be money really leaving the company not going into a pot that they could get their hands on again...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Where? Very few, if any, places in England & Wales are as remote as we are. Very roughly you can place 6 Dartmoors in a ring around here and not cover any of the places that have one of the Big 5 supermarkets.

There may well be places in Scotland more than 10 to 15 miles from any grocery shop, Co-op, Spar etc not "Big 5".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All those that were ordered to by the Govt (for reasons which escape me).

Well indeed. But that is the trouble with defined benefit schemes. You make promises with no idea whether they can be kept 40 years hence.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It was the Bouncing Czech I was thinking of as the first, but there were many since.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You do know they were forced to take the holidays as the funds were too big for their liabilities and HMG doesn't like that as its tax avoidance.

If the fund was setup correctly the company couldn't get money back.

Reply to
dennis

Of course it is, you just snipped all the relevant information.

Reply to
dennis

Dangerous, how? The PO don't like flammable, leaky, corrosive, explosive stuff, sure. Drugs require somebody to actually take them, and that's not in the control of the PO - all they do is pop them through a slot.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many years ago I sent a mate at the other end of the country a quarter oz, prominently labelled, "Medical Supplies, Handle With Care" and it got to him, no problem.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Isn't it obvious?

You can't send a child to collect drugs from a pharmacy so what makes you think you can post them through a door without knowing who can get it?

Reply to
dennis

If that were the case, Royal Mail would not have this on their website:

"Prescription and over-the-counter medicines Prescription and over-the-counter medicines may be sent by, or at the specific request of: a qualified medical practitioner, a registered dental practitioner, a veterinary surgeon, a registered nurse or a recognised laboratory or institution. Any medicine that uses an aerosol where the volume exceeds

50ml is prohibited and will not be accepted. Any aerosols that use flammable or toxic gases as propellants are also prohibited. Controlled drugs or substitutes for controlled drugs are prohibited and will not be accepted. Private individuals may send medicines in prescription quantities in cases of emergency only."

It is up to the people responsible for the household to ensure that any mail delivered is handled as appropriate to their circumstances. If you have a baby, you don't let it crawl to the front door, grab any packages that are delivered, and started chewing at them. Or are you stupid enough to do so?

After all, the package could contain any of many substances which cause issues to at least some people. Like peanuts. Stanley blades. Drill bits. String. Knitting needles.

Reply to
polygonum