OT New tax coming.

What is the point of there being a state pension if it is 'pathetic'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 11:28:00 on Sat, 10 Nov 2012, charles remarked:

If that happened before they retired, then somewhere else might be a better choice.

If it happens after they retired, then they should reconsider moving somewhere more suitable.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 13:16:49 on Sat, 10 Nov

2012, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

It's a safety-net for people who ignored all the exhortations to save for something less minimal.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 07:39:03 on Sat, 10 Nov 2012, S Viemeister remarked:

You've never seen flour with weevils in? I'm impressed.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Which is why it won't happen. The unions are dead set against it and government tends to think on the lines that if people will pay more tax on fuel then they will pay more for VED as well.

As a move it's sensible. Couple it with a safer rule that all vehicles on the channel tunnel and cross channel ferries must travel with empty tanks and Johnny foreigner can be made to pay the tax he avoids.

Instead of which the government has dreamed up two tier VED or reinvented the Swiss vignette system. At the moment they say the upper rate will be the same as now, the lower rate will be a discount. Expect that to last all of a year.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It happens as often as not after they've retired. I know of one village where the shop was open, then closed and re-opened after a five year gap. As far as I know it's still open, but there are no guarantees. The bus service is similarly unreliable, depending on how much money the local council have spare in a particular year.

Which is all very good if they can afford it, and they don't have family living locally.

The house I live in, for example, is worth less than the bungalow within a few hundred yards of a shop that I'll prefer after I retire. I've avoided renting for all my working life, and I'm not keen on starting after I retire.

Reply to
John Williamson

Or ones that have been in jobs that don't pay enough to let them save. When you're fighting to pay the rent this month, you don't worry about how little money you'll have in thirty years time, you just hope everything will be alright.

Reply to
John Williamson

>>> They should put all the tax on fuel. That would be much fairer.

But as I drive a large car, a toll tax system would be fairer for me :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The rules are the same for everybody, although some may be able to afford better advice than others.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I put stuff like that in the freezer for a few days, before storing it in bug-proof containers.

Reply to
S Viemeister

As a matter of fact, no, I haven't. Or biscuits. You're not a sailor in Nelson's navy, are you?

Reply to
Tim Streater

which is one of the reasons why it is unfair

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , at 15:22:47 on Sat, 10 Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

If they have local family, that's the shopping sorted out.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:24:46 on Sat, 10 Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

Which is one reason there is a state pension, as a safety-net for folks like that.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

16:51:06 on Sat, 10 Nov 2012, Tim Streater remarked:

I have. It was in the USA though.

Reply to
Roland Perry

That's exactly what the proposed new tax will do.

Reply to
harry

Gordon Brown stole many people's pensions. Now I see Cameron has an idea to steal the pension fund from local government to build houses with.

Reply to
harry

Bus passes.

Reply to
harry

In message , at

00:04:35 on Sun, 11 Nov 2012, harry remarked:

If the nearest shop is 16 miles away, there's every possibility that there are no buses.

Reply to
Roland Perry