OT New tax coming.

Apparently we are all to be taxed for using the motorways from 2014. Later perhaps. the system is to be expanded to all roads.

The gov.thinks we will soon mostly be driving electric cars, this is probably to rake in the tax not paid by electric car drivers I think. Tough shit if you end up not driving an electric car and paying both petrol tax and new road tax.

I bet the present road tax will be kept as well.

harry

should put all the tax on fuel. That would be much fairer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

>>> They should put all the tax on fuel. That would be much fairer.

I think you misunderstand the purposes of taxes and duties. They exist to raise revenue, not to be fair.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Glad you are on the ball. That was 28 October. I think you will find some follow-up stories around. If you looked.

Reply to
polygonum

The purpose is to raise revenue. That doesn't exclude the possibility of the tax being fair. I don't see why a pensioner who does 3,000 miles a year should pay the same road tax as a sales rep who does 100,000.

Governments use taxes for social engineering purposes; for modifying our behaviour. If all the tax was on fuel people would drive less, and more economically, which is just what they want for various reasons.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well they do not have to if they drive a lower emmison car than the rep.

Reply to
ARW

but that's achange of policy. Outside Slough there is a set of traffic lights- the first set of phased ones so you could drive without stopping. some years ago the phasing was altered to make the cars stop and start - this was done to increase Treasury revenue. Only lasxt year was the proper phasing restored.

Reply to
charles

They'll have a job finding a car that pays a road tax that is lower per mile than the rep - unless it's a city biscuit box.

Tax on fuel would have the great advantage that they could dismantle all the red tape involved in handling tax discs.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , harry writes

It says they are "considering a proposal"

Do you REALLY think that it's possible to go from ideas to a managed toad taxing system in less than 24 months

stick to the cartoons - more on your level

Reply to
geoff

Why shouldn't they? The mileage difference is more than accounted for by fuel duty. I know w few pensioners who can afford to pay far more tax than any sales rep.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , geoff writes

Its a completely crazy idea since toads rarely have any money anyway

Reply to
geoff

I don't think that is true. They will still want to know who the owner is, etc. and the tax disc gives them the opportunity to try to force that to be checked every year.

Reply to
polygonum

And they're bloody bad drivers (based on a sample of one).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, they make a right ol' mess of the ball.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

As I said on one of the other groups this week I can't see any government giving up a revenue stream that easily.

If tax goes on fuel the tax disc will be called something else or replaced by a fee for doing a electronic check on MOT and insurance. Initially a lowish figure but a few budgets down the line will have increased substantially . So you could end up paying a substantial charge plus the fuel duty.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Bureaucracies do not reduce themselves.

Reply to
bert

And stop having a registered keeper, the details of which are checked at least once a year when the VED is renewed? The 'red tape' should be minimal now everything is computerised.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They might have kept an old car a long time, because of only doing low mileage.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'm thinking of my friends, retired farm workers, who are living on a pathetic pension and yet have to drive 16 miles to the nearest shop.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright