OT: New Spectacles

After I had my first cataract removed, I was left with near perfect distance vision in that eye - better than when I first started wearing glasses at the age of 14 ...

Two years on, I needed a cataract removed from the other eye. I was offered the choice of matching the first eye or having the a replacement lens for reading fitted, on the basis that the brain learns which eye to use for various purposes ...

No way! If it didn't work for me, I doubt I would be able to take it back for a replacement, so I settled for matching distance vision.

I now no longer need glasses for normal vision for the first time in over 50 years but, having worn bifocals for 20 years, I got fed up with never having reading glasses around when I wanted them (despite having several pairs)! I now have a pair of varifocals, which also correct a slight mid-field deficiency I wasn't really aware of until I got them, with photochromic lenses. I still find a pair of +1.00 ready readers much better for the PC, though ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

I did that from birth - both eyes without help. One was -ve, the other

+ve.
Reply to
Bob Eager

That's what I got as the first hit - just a different trade directory, then the link in that went to a dead end. I then noticed all the entries as below and assumed that it was the same company.

FO has a geographic tel. no. rather than 0871.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Reply to
PeterC

You're welcome.

There was some self-interest behind my willingness to help. Some recent eye surgery has changed my prescription and I need four pairs of glasses re-glazed.

In the past I have used SelectSpecs and been very happy, however the idea of a more local firm has some appeal. I would rather see people employed in Watford than Hong Kong, where SelectSpecs are based.

Reply to
Bruce

Glasses on spec is their online company

you type "fairplay optical" into google, ...

first hit

"Fairplay Optical Co Ltd. Address: Unit 7, Olds Close, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 9RU. Telephone: 01923 777618 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01923 777618 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Fax: 01923 710175 .."

Reply to
geoff

In message , Bruce writes

Right hand side, the white sign behind the bushes

geoff

Reply to
Bruce

Indeed - and easier for returns and comms. SelectSpecs seems to have a place in Kent but that might be a front for manufacture in Asia.

Reply to
PeterC

er, I get a big area with lots of pins in it, none of which seems relevant. Which one is it, please?

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, got it sorted thanks. Seems common nowadays, that several names are under the same company.

Reply to
PeterC

Ah, that should have been a picture

If you go for 3 counties hydroponics and go as far as the walkthrough takes you, on the RHS, straight ahead of you. On the RHS of the road

Reply to
geoff

Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to write their advertising copy.

Reply to
Mike Lane

In message , Mike Lane writes

They make lenses, they don't write literature

Reply to
geoff

geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

I don't want them to write literature, but I expect someone I deal with to be literate.

Reply to
Mike Lane

These "bendable glasses" - are the lenses bendable too, or do they shatter when the frame is bent?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Mike Lane writes

I did once upon a time

I have now come to the conclusion that the feral apostrophe, their / there, your / you're, less / fewer are so widespread that it's just not worth losing sleep over. It's just not worth it

Literacy (especially if it's that of the son of the owner) is not necessarily a measure of competence or ability of the company

get over it, you're a northerner FFS

(now how many errors did I manage in that rant ?)

Reply to
geoff

Depends who thumps you for being a pedant

I'm actually wearing a pair ATM

This is the second pair, the first pair actually broke - the nosepiece broke in half as I was sitting typing away at the computer. I put this down to a material defect,

Reply to
geoff

Perhaps Northerners are the ones who really uphold English grammar.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

? It was just a simple question...

Wow.

Did the lenses bend though?

It seems rather strange that a frame would break "just like that". Were you accessing some particular site? ITWSBT.

A "material defect" doesn't really say an awful lot for bendyspecs, does it?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

Err - none I think.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't agree. I think it's all part of the hideous mediocracy that pervades our culture. Everyone gets a prize - everyone gets 10 AAA triple star GCSEs and everyone goes to university, but no one can write a coherent sentence.

Going back to "They never loose there shape and are almost indestructable", I think it's sloppy - like making spelling mistakes in your CV. If I were Alan Sugar I wouldn't hire anyone who did that. I don't think I'd trust them with my glasses either.

BTW I live in the north but I'm not of the north - an economic migrant you might say.

Reply to
Mike Lane