OT - New PC

En el artículo , F escribió:

No

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There's the problem - they need to be in those little caddies and I have not found (yet) anywhere that sells barebone trays.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think there is a LOM card available if you want belt+braces remote management.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They do? Ah - that was very much not clear - so my apologies to Geoff just now forclaiming they weren't...

That re-opens the field a bit then!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Blimey, you don't buy disks from HP. You don't need caddied drives.

I buy all my disk from eBay. Leave it on test for a few days.

Reply to
Huge

Yep - that was not obvious until someone else said... I did not find any empty caddies for sale anywhere and assumed (like 1U/2U servers) that it probably came with blanking trays rather than empty caddies.

Glad I'm wrong...

Now I wish Dell's low end SANs could take normal drives instead of speshal ones (ie with replaced firmware)!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not sure what you mean there. I didn't buy anything more to fit extra drives into mine.

Reply to
Mark

Aaaiiieeee!!!

Mind you, we have EMC SANs and I wouldn't give you tuppence for those.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks.

Is there a 'free' server OS that would be easy to install? I've built Windows computers before now, but not a server and nothing that ran a 'different' OS.

There's loads of Linux server distros around. I use Ubuntu server on mine.

Reply to
Mark

Plenty... mostly linux based. Try SME Server:

the ISO, burn a CD, temporally give your target machine a keyboard and monitor, boot from the CD (warning it will take over the machine and all the discs attached if you let it), follow the onscreen prompts asking for key bits of information, reboot from the install, few more bits of config and it's up and running. After that you can take away the keyboard and monitor and administer it over the LAN via a web interface. It just works...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe you should consider a ready made server solution like

much more expensive and they work OOTB (more or less).

There are cheaper 1 and 2 disk solutions too.

Reply to
dennis

The HP microserver doesn't have a CD drive fitted as standard but it is easy to boot and install off a USB pen drive instead.

Reply to
Mark

You don't need to buy them, they are included.

Reply to
djc

Thanks, sounds like what I want!

I have a USB DVD drive. Presumably, that will do the trick?

I had (still have, not using) a Clariion - I hate them! Disks only £800 - a real bargain...

Reply to
Tim Watts

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Yes, it's called the iLO card. But ssh is cheaper :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , F escribió:

Google freeNAS.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

I've told you 3 times, the trays come with the server. Unless you mean something different.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson