OT. New online postage stamps?

Why not? All it takes is an Internet connection at each office.

They don't need to catch it every time. They just need to catch it enough times to make it not worth the risk.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

I don't know, it seems just the same to me.

Reply to
bof

Plus a lot of software and databases to be able to match things appearing on opposite sides of the country quickly.

Reply to
tinnews

Any client-server application with a central database can do that. As a coding exercise, it's trivial. The only problem is what happens when the connection goes down. But that's solvable by various means, so it's not a major issue.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

In message , at

10:30:06 on Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Mark Goodge remarked:

The main element of the solution at the sending end was that the franking machine only produced one "stamp" for each transaction. If you messed it up (for example, franked the print roller rather than a letter, it was just tough luck.

Reply to
Roland Perry

That's only the case with a traditional, pre-paid franking machine. Other systems allow multiple prints, and then validate after posting.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

In message , at 00:47:27 on Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Andy Hall remarked:

How come you haven't switched to an accountant who will accept scans of your invoices by email? That would be a logical part of this crusade you appear to be indulging in.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No friends to send birthday and xmas cards to?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

My choice. It would take longer to put them all through the scanner.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Absolutely, but they get emailed greetings and flowers or packs of booze as appropriate.

They are happy and it's vastly quicker.

I am surprised that greetings card companies are still in business.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Agreed. It could be even easier to track fraudsters down with this system, if the stamp included the sender's address.

Reply to
Ed Sirett