OT: New Bread Maker required

but you have to wait 3.40 hours till you can eat it.

Reply to
Dave W

I have to wait about 18 hours before I can eat mine.... It is good though! :-)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Fingers crossed!

Reply to
Adrian

150/150 gave a REALLY thick paste - I've put 250 in, as suggested in Hugh Fearlessly-Eatitall's River Cottage Bread, and it's much more of a batter. We shall see.
Reply to
Adrian

Rye.

It's sticky'n'orrible. Makes nice Rye bread though. Also low gluten so hardly any point actually kneading it.

Different quantities for Rye starter: 150% hydration - which means for

100g of Rye, you use 150g of water.

Do not overfill the jar!!! Rye gets very active very fast - you might find it has crawled out the jar and over the table if not careful.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Yea - my numbers were for wheat - see other post...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Aha!

Reply to
Adrian

Quite the opposite, in fact. It's just lurking there without so much as a bubble...

Reply to
Adrian

In the fridge or on the counter? You need "room temperature" to get it going...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Kitchen windowsill.

Reply to
Adrian

I'd be tempted to dump in another 100g of rye and 150g of water, give it a good stir and see if it does anything.

Basically you ought to be doing that every day anyway, until it's established - when the jar gets more than half full, discard half of that and keep going, but my experiences with Rye is that it'll get going after 2-3 days.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

And, after being topped up with some more flour + water, it's STILL just sitting there looking like splodge.

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe you live in a yeast free zone... You haven't autoclaved it, have you? (sorry, another thread!)

This

is effectively the same method that I have used in the past, althoug they use hot water - I'd not use anything hotter than room temperature myself.

And if you're anywhere near Devon you can have some of mine!

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

+1
Reply to
Steve Walker

Today, there's (finally) hints of bubbliness and vile odour.

Reply to
Adrian

Yea, my rye starter smells a bit funny too!

You'll be wanting to cook with it next...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I'll give it a couple more days/feeds, and see what it does. TBH, I'd ignored it a bit, and was having a final "Do I just lob _that_...?" look.

Yes... But I am happy to be patient.

Reply to
Adrian

It is quite clear that the UK-DIY news group is well into it's bread-making as once again that's 5 pages of thread length!

Many thanks for those that did keep the thread on track (the wanderings are the joy of such correspondence areas), and it's now time for me to give fe edback.

My wife went for the offering from Lakeland mainly because it would fit int o her cupboard without having to do a modification to account for the heigh t of the Panasonic machines. If I remember rightly now she had checked Whi ch's review which was favourable but commented on the weight of the Lakelan d machine - in fact it is no heavier she is saying than the old Morphy Rich ards so that is not a problem.

A plain white loaf was made first - OK cook, how boring though - then a who lemeal with the book's recommendation of 80gms of white bread flour which w as fine,and then a straight wholemeal which cooked excellently as well, tho ugh there is some experimentation planned for a small addition of white flo ur in future.

So far she is happy - thank goodness!

All the encouragement to go traditional is taken onboard but we don't have a suitable place for warming the dough while resting, and the machine is se en as time efficient as it can be loaded up in the evening, and set to do i t's thing in time for breakfast.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Boring it may be, but you have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what you put into it and making it at home yourself.

I perfer a white loaf with some wholemeal in it - about 30/70 wholemeal to white.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I find rye my preferred addition to a basic white style. Adds taste and improves texture, IMHO.

Reply to
polygonum